Rocket Richard

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I am basically writing this because we got someone that probably watched him in Eric. Personally I think he was top 5-7 players to ever play the game, he was the first player to score 50 goals. Also I remember once he got suspended for the rest of a season, and then the Montreal Faithful started a huge riot on the Montreal Streets. He's one of the best goal scoreres ever he scored over 500 goals in is career. Also he was fearless. Also when you get a trophy name after you, especially the trophy the trophy of most goals in a season.

Thoughts?

2. eric

eric Guest

Richard was a classy guy and certainly in the top five the way I see it,
    Gretzky
    Howe
    Orr
    Rchard
    Lemeiux
    What I remember about him is the fits he use to give Detroit, and we are talking about a team that had great defense in Marcel Pronovost, Red Kelly (forawhile) and of course Terry Sawchuck. Guys like Howe and Richard were great because they played in the old six team league and faced the best players in the world andthe best goalies in the world every night and excelled while doing it.

The Wings tried everything to stop him they shadowed him with Hall of Famers like Delvecchio, Abel, Lindsey, Ullman and nothing worked. The two teams must have had an agreement never to play Howe and Rocket head to head because they would have fought contually taking them both off the ice. It was a better game them, tougher, stronger and more defensive.

3. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

He is one of the best goal scorers ever, he might have been the best player but Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux are better in my opinion.

4. eric

eric Guest

You can't possibly leave Howe out even Gretzky acknowledge him as the best ever.

5. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

Howe was good but Gretzky was the best player of all time.

6. eric

eric Guest

But he couldn't fight.;)

7. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

Lol true, and he doesn't have the fighting hat trick named after him "The Gordie Howe Hat Trick". I think Andre Roy got one of those this season.

8. eric

eric Guest

Yup a goal an assist and a fight.LOL Tie Domi has actually had a dew of them.

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I wish I was born during the era that The Rocket played because he meant so much to hockey fans and people in general. Everyone knew who he was even if you weren't a hockey fan. I've only saw highlights and heard about things he did, but he was a great hockey person that changed the face of the game by is style of play. But one of my favorite hockey moments of all time involves him actually. It was the last game at the forum and he got invited to a game for the first time in such a long time because he had a big argument with management, he came out on the ice and people gave him a 15 minute standing ovation. It was pretty crazy and I am not an emotional person but that moment got to me. That's why I think he meant so much to hockey but especially Montreal. I am not sure if you saw this moment guys but it was tremendous.

10. eric

eric Guest

Gordie Howe said of Rocket in an interview on TV in 1972. "There were a lot of great players in the past , and there will be great players in the future but nobody will ever be a better person and representative of hockey than Maurice Richard."