• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rockband/Guitar Hero etc

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
This isn't a thread about a specific game, this is just about rockband and guitar hero in general.

I remember when these games first came out, there was so much hype about them, and they were pretty popular. My buddy PretzelCorp had the game and I'd go over to his place to play. First it was guitar hero. We'd bust some grooves on guitar hero 2. I remember our favourite song was Freebird, because it had a really fun solo part in it haha.

Then Rockband came out, and that was a novelty in itself as well. I still remember the first song I did with the vocals was Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California. A great song, and I nailed it of course haha. Vocals was always my favourite, but I didn't mind doing the guitaring either. I was never good at the drums though. I could do it on easy and I could hold my own on medium, but thats the best I could do. Thats okay though, it was still fun

So what are some of your memories from these games? What was your favourite song, and what was your favourite iteration of these games. What was your favourite thing to do in rockband? sing, drum, guitar etc? I think the newer rockbands even had the keytar as well. Lets hear it!

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
My friends and I always make it a point to play music games all the time, whether it be Rock Band, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, and even dance music games like Dance Central or DDR.

Music games are a great way to express yourself. I let it all hang loose when I play them. It's like I am a different person entirely.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I used to play Guitar Hero with Pam and Chaos a lot. We have a band called whoreFACE. lol But yeah, Lazy Eye was my favorite song for the guitar. I wish I still had the game and controller (borrowed it from a friend). another song I LOVED was the kill by 30 seconds to mars. such a good song to play, it was just so much fun.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Don't forget Lauren, Kay. She was also in WhoreFACE...I think. lol

While I have a lot of great memories playing this game, I kind of wish I hadn't purchased them. The drum set and the guitar just takes up too much room that I do not have. I had a horrible time trying to figure out where to put the drum set when I moved. The front closet that I used to keep it in was much smaller in the new place.

My favorite thing to play was the drums. I could really only play it on medium though, and I would mess up a lot. The foot pedal was the worst.

My favorite memory is when me, Chaos, and Iris were all playing together. We were each taking a turn picking a song. For some reason, I was singing...I don't know why. It may have been the only part available. Anywho, Chaos picks La Bamba. I know exactly 0 words to this song, besides La Bamba, of course. I must confess that I made up my own words. "Lalalala bamba, lalalalabamba taco taco, burrito burrito. I also threw in some cheeseburgers and sombreros. The most hilarious part of this all was...as long as I kept the tone right, it didn't count against me, even though I was singing completely different words.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I was kinda glad these titles died down.

It was getting really annoying to see crap games like these taking the spotlight from games that actually deserved it. I had given a few of them a chance, mostly just played them rarely as a social game. But other than that I never really had a ton of fun with them.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I was kinda glad these titles died down.

It was getting really annoying to see crap games like these taking the spotlight from games that actually deserved it. I had given a few of them a chance, mostly just played them rarely as a social game. But other than that I never really had a ton of fun with them.
Yeah, they are an acquired taste.

However, not all of them were crap, :lol:. The Rock Band series, especially has been praised still to this day about how good it was. I think RB3 has a 87 or so on Metacritic and RB2 has a 90? Something like that.

You either like them or you hate them.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Well no its not even a matter of me hating the series.

I played Guitar Hero 2 and 3 with my wife and brother once in a while. It had about the enjoyment of a bottlerocket to me. Real fun at first, but absolutely no replayability. I didnt feel challenged or motivated to really get better at the game. I'm not trying to insinuate that I was a master... far from, I was the kind that would play in the mid-difficulties or so.

Maybe its just me, but I felt Rockband wasnt much better. Kind of the same sensation I got from playing all the FPS's at the same time. Really when you looked at them they were damn near identical. So if one was boring... they were all pretty much boring.

I dont hate these Music Sims... I just wasnt moved by them. Kind of the same reason I dont care for RPG's. They just dont do anything for me. I dont hate them, I just cant love or like them for some reason.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I thought they looked stupid, so I never played them... I even openly mocked some of my friends & relatives for playing it.

My friend did dust off his copy of DJ Hero. If I was to play any of them, & that's a big if, it would be that one.

Xeilo

V.I.P.
I used to play guitar hero all the time when I was drunk, sometimes still do lol. Last time I did we got told to turn it off at 4 in the morning lol. My favourite one was of course the Metallica game, and I loved to play the drums the most on it. I could finish the songs on hardcore+. Took a lot of practice to do that tho, can't seem to just sit down and do it again. Need to play more lol.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Well no its not even a matter of me hating the series.

I played Guitar Hero 2 and 3 with my wife and brother once in a while. It had about the enjoyment of a bottlerocket to me. Real fun at first, but absolutely no replayability. I didnt feel challenged or motivated to really get better at the game. I'm not trying to insinuate that I was a master... far from, I was the kind that would play in the mid-difficulties or so.
I think it's a different kind of replayability. It's not the FPS/story-driven replayability, but it's the striving to get better at it, get the highest score mentality. I go back and play them over and over. Maybe it's because of the friends I have and how they would always want to play the same games and songs over and over and over again, but maybe it was just fun to play.

Different strokes for different folks. :)