• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rock Climbing

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Anyone has done it?

I did wall climbing yesterday for the first time. There's an indoor place that offers it and you can rent the shoes and harnesses. It was quite challenging for me, more than my tree-climbing, ziplining and rapelling adventures in the past month. I can imagine it's worse and more dangerous of course for outdoors rock climbing.

Also for a moment there, I thought I'd die, haha. Well I know I won't really because I have a rope that is being held by my friend just in case (otherwise each time I slipped, and I did twice, I'd be dead already).

My hands and forearms hurt so badly right now I can barely type. I think I will do it again. I managed to climb a level 4+ and failed to complete a 4b wall. That will be my target.

Impact

V.I.P.
I've done it, both on the indoor wall, and up an actual cliff thing. I'm not great at it though. On the indoor wall, the grips always seem way too far apart for a short person, and it's even harder outside because it's natural without the grips and you have to hope like hell the bit of rock you're standing on doesn't move :lol:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I've done it, both on the indoor wall, and up an actual cliff thing. I'm not great at it though. On the indoor wall, the grips always seem way too far apart for a short person, and it's even harder outside because it's natural without the grips and you have to hope like hell the bit of rock you're standing on doesn't move :lol:
That is so true! I mean about the grips being far away. At one time I'm told to put my foot on this side and I'm like, "Are you serious?! I have to do more than a chinese split for that". So there was a time when the same colored thingy (the path I'm supposed to follow was just physically impossible so I stepped on another color, haha).

If it's outdoor, how is the hook from the top or something? Or do you climb en tête (dunno the English equivalent but it's when rope isn't attached from above)?

Impact

V.I.P.
It was specially set up for climbing, so someone had already climbed to the top and set up all the ropes and such. I don't even want to think about climbing up and putting the hooks for your rope in yourself. Or even without rope. That's way too much for me

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I had to do the unhooking at one point. Torture!!!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Not sure why I didn't see this thread before.

I used to go rock climbing at an indoor gym almost every week for a few years when I was in high school. I had my own rock shoes, harness, and chalk and stuff (still do, actually). I was pretty decent and could climb overhanging stuff like this...

Participated in an amateur climbing competition once just for fun. Didn't win any prizes or anything.

I've only climbed outdoors a few times. It's definitely a lot harder.

If it's outdoor, how is the hook from the top or something? Or do you climb en tête (dunno the English equivalent but it's when rope isn't attached from above)?
You can either set it up from the top by hiking up another way, or you can place protection in the rock as you go. The former is called "top roping," the latter is "lead climbing."

My hands and forearms hurt so badly right now
I know that feeling so well. Climbing exhausts your muscles so quickly. The good thing is that you get so strong from it. Builds finger/grip strength, as well as forearms and core. Really an awesome workout.

redroses

Registered Member
rock climbing is ace. i have never done an indoor one just outdoors up a cliff type of thing i've also abseilled down a cliff too that was probably most fun.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Echoes, that's amazing. I can't imagine being able to do that. My first wall had a tilt at the top and Iwas already dying, I asked to be pulled down, haha.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I've gone rock climbing before. Never on actual rocks, just on those wall climbing centers. I've gone pretty high, but I can't do wall climbing anymore since dislocating my shoulder. Now, if i make the wrong move, my shoulder likes to repopout.