RoA #59

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steerpike, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

Here is another rule, not an internet rule (these rules are from a specific American pop culture icon) , for discussion:

Rule #59 says, "Free advice is seldom cheap."

Is there anything to Rule #59 and does it qualify as aphorism?

Discuss Rule 59.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008

2. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

If by "aphorism" you mean 'truism,' then I would say no, it doesn't qualify. Parental advice, to name perhaps the most intensive type in an average person's life, is free and generally sound. In fact, the vast majority of advice probably meets those two criteria, even on the Internet. Having spent more than two years as an active participant on a major help and advice website, my observation was that the consensus of opinion on nearly any given entreatment there was sage and beneficial (if not always highly literate). Even on such rabble-filled sites as gaiaonline and 4chan I see that prudent advice usually predominates, albeit by a lesser margin than in the previously mentioned forum, in matters of any real gravity and consequence.

The crux here, of course, is found in the adverb "seldom." One commonly uttered permutation of the adage in question is, "Free advice ain't always free," which, to my way of thinking, sets the parameters sufficiently wide for a less arguable and thus a worthier maxim.

Would you agree, Steerpike?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  3. Steerpike

Even if the advice is sound, then does that make it cheap?

Whether I agree or not is not relevant. The rule is written as stated. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  4. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Sound advice is very nice, and cheap at over twice the price. (Organian Rule of Affirmation #143)

You're overthinking it, Professor. It's merely parlor conversation.

(Or would you take real stock in a book filled with hackneyed sayings attributed to fictional characters? :lol:)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
    RATTIE likes this.
  5. Steerpike

Consider this: If you say you have a pain, and someone advises you to see a doctor, then the advice is sound but is it cheap?

"Cheap" in our rule is not referring to the cost of getting the advice but the cost of taking the advice.

With this in mind, is there any truth to the rule?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  6. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Advice is often about how to save money. Ergo, it cannot be seldom cheap.

7. Steerpike

If someone gives you advice that saves you money, then would that make you indebted to them in any way?

8. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Yes, I would owe them my thanks. Three bags full, I would estimate, at zero cents a bag.

9. Steerpike

Do you honestly believe the other party would think that all you owed them was thanks?

10. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

That's the general expectation on this planet. I won't presume to speak for the Ferengi or their groupies.