Ripken and Gwynn get in Big Mac gets passed ...

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by shookem, Jan 10, 2007.

1. shookem

shookem Guest

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/10/sports/baseball/10fame.html?_r=2&ref=baseball&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Thoughts?

2. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I think leaving Mac out of the Hall of Fame for 'alleged' steroid use is akin to putting a man in jail for 'suspicion' of a crime. It's just not right. There was no due process in the decision.

I've thought for a number of years that not only did MLB know these big hitters were juicing, they wanted them to do it in order to increase revenues. Just prior to the big explosion of homeruns and large numbers of RBIs in the mid Nineties the revenues were way down and fans just weren't coming out to the parks. This was because MLB had allowed it's image to be severly tarnished by the strike of '94. In order to put the fans back in the seats, MLB gave them what they knew they wanted.........the long ball and high scoring games.

Hoosier.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I think he should make the Hall of Fame, because he was a Hall of Fame player, and he has the numbers to prove it. Yes he supposely used steroids, but there was no rule of not using them. He and Sosa save the 1998 season when they where going head to head for home run champion. Everyone was watching baseball because of those two.

4. shookem

shookem Guest

I'm with you all but what happens when Barry's time comes?

5. Hoosier_Daddy

With the new allegations about him testing positive for amphetamines I don't think Barry ever gets in. Or at least not for a long-long time.

Hoosier.

6. Babe_Ruth

I don't think that Bonds should get in the Hall of Fame, I think that all is records should be erased from the record books. i think he's a bum and no team should sign him so he doesn't beat Hank Aaron.

7. Hoosier_Daddy

Well, whether we like it or not, he will break the record this season as a Giant, barring injury or suspension.

Hoosier.

8. TBT

TBT Guest

I can't say that I agree. Barry Bonds is one of the greatest players of all time, a great hitter, baserunner (in his early days), and a decent fielder. The same can't be said about Mcgwire, who much of his value comes from HR's. Without steroids, Bonds would probably be one of the 10 - 15 greatest players ever. Without steroids, Mcgwire might not be HOF worthy.

9. Babe_Ruth

He was a good hitter and a very good baserunner in is younger days, but he only started to get notice when he started to hit all those homeruns. Mark McGwire was good for the game, Barry "steroid" Bonds is just a bitter person. He's angry against the whole world and shouldn't be elected to the Hall Of Fame.

10. TBT

TBT Guest

He won the MVP in 1990, 1992 and 1993. I know you were either not alive yet, or way too young too be aware of that then, but realize that he got plenty of attention.
    Yeah, Barry Bonds is a bitter person. So is Rogers Hornsby. Do you want him out of the HOF too?