• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

RIP Pat Burns...this time for real

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm pissed at myself for not posting this yesterday. Three time Jack Adams winner and Stanley Cup winning coach has passed away on Friday.

I hope the rotten bastards on the HOF selection committee are proud of themselves.

RIP, coach

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
I'm pissed at myself for not posting this yesterday. Three time Jack Adams winner and Stanley Cup winning coach has passed away on Friday.

I hope the rotten bastards on the HOF selection committee are proud of themselves.

RIP, coach
They could only induct so many people into the Hall at a time, you're right that they should have inducted him sooner, I think he was the only coach in history to win 3 Coach of the Year awards with 3 separate teams. In case anyone is curious I wiki'd the highlights of his career.

Led his team to first place in it's respective division 3 times.
Made the conference finals 4 times.
Made the Stanley Cup finals twice.
Had a winning record in 11 of 14 seasons
Won 53 games behind the bench in a single season during his rookie coaching year in '89
Won the Cup in '03 with New Jersey

Finished his career with a record of 501-353-151-14.

Apparently he was a cop before his coaching career, who knows maybe the Hall of Fame is skeptical about his reputation off the ice, check this out.

In a criminal case brought against two Hells Angels members in 2003, Mr. Burns' name was brought up in court in association with evidence collected by police officers in two separate seizures at the homes of Hells Angels' Donald "Pup" Stockford of the Nomads chapter of Montreal and Walter "Nurget" Stadnick on March 28, 2001. As a result of their investigation, police brought murder and other related charges against Stockford and Stadnick. Derrek King, a member of the Ontario Provincial Police's organized crime squad, testified he found in Stadnick's closet a police bulletproof vest as well as a card congratulating him on 18 years with the bikers. Pat Burns' phone numbers were also found in a telephone book in the home. OPP officer Scott Andrew Mills discovered two notebooks filled with telephone numbers in Mr. Stockford's home, with Mr. Burns' personal numbers including his home, chalet and pager numbers found in each book. In 1994, when Burns was coaching in Toronto, OPP had questioned the coach about his ties with Stadnick, to whom Burns referred as "Wally"; however, Burns continued his association with the two men, appearing in an April 1997-dated photo together with them. Burns, in response to numerous interview requests subsequent to the disclosure that his name had come up in evidence used in a criminal case against the Hells Angels members, gave an exclusive interview to the weekly publication Allo Police, where he claimed to not have known that the men he was associating with were members of the Hells Angels.[3]
Pat Burns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know how the Hall of Fame works Juan, I still believe that he should of been inducted by now. He's one of the best coaches of this generation. Being the only coach to win three Jack Adams is extremely impressive. Just think of all the great coaches in the history of the NHL, and he's the only one to do it.

I'm sure he'll make it in the next few years.

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
The NHL was probably skeptical about the controversy he caused by being associated with the criminals. I don't want to mention any names, but I think Burns deserved to be inducted into the Hall before some other members who have been inducted within the past 5 years.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I don't know how I neglected this thread, but RIP Pat Burns. Awesome coach and awesome hockey guy.

How the HHoF failed to induct him in the last few years is beyond me. Waive the rules, because he belongs in there and it's sad that he won't be around to see his ceremony. It would have been a great night. Can we blame Bettman for this? Well, let's anyways.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Sports 1
Babe_Ruth Hockey 8
Millz NFL 3
sunrise Science & History 1
BigBob NFL 4