• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rio de Janeiro not safe for Olympics?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
As Olympics Approach, Rio de Janeiro's Hospitals Running Out of Medicine - Breitbart

Why are the Olympics being held in Rio de Janeiro. Seems your always reading about their sanitation problems, now their hospitals are running out of medicine, even on the verge of collapse and this is on top of the Zika virus. If a athlete is injured or becomes ill I don't think they can handle it.

Thoughts?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is this the same thing as how Sochi, Russia wasn't ready for the Winter Olympics? And that a terrorist attack was definitely going to happen and nobody was safe?

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
They did okay with the World Cup. I'm sure they'll manage with the Olympics.

Unsure whether this might provide the opportunity for the Zika virus to spread. Lets hope not.

For all its murky dealings, the whole world coming together in a peaceful way, the Olympics are a great thing.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is different than Sochi. Seems they are running out of money they have spent so much on the Olympics. They haven't been paying their cops and hospitals are running out of supplies. Hope the teams have their own medical supplies in case something happens.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Yeah, and while Russia isn't exactly the best example for moral ethics, Brazil is in chaos amidst allegations of heavy corruption by the president and everything. Let's just hope that everything will be fine for the Olympics.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah, and while Russia isn't exactly the best example for moral ethics, Brazil is in chaos amidst allegations of heavy corruption by the president and everything. Let's just hope that everything will be fine for the Olympics.
Absolutely, I hope they make enough money off the Olympics to pay their officers and restock their medical supplies. Hope the government doesn't doesn't pocket it.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I don't think anywhere is "safe" anymore. But like someone mentioned, they were able to handle World Cup. Also in Olympics, I assume each country will have a medical team and if not well prepared in terms of provisions, could be source of experts, should there be a need/shortage of that too during the event.‎

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
.. For all its murky dealings, the whole world coming together in a peaceful way, the Olympics are a great thing.
The WHOLE world is NOT coming together. Russia was totally banned.
Daria Klishina is NOT a Russian athlete since she's under a Refugee flag.
Stepanova is also NOT a Russian athlete since she defected to Canada.
As for me, I don't listen to Peskov. I will NOT be going to or watching the Rio Olympics.

@ OP
Imo, Rio is too corrupt to use the proceeds from the Olympics for health or safety issues.

1. The white boats in the polluted waters turned brown.
2. Body parts were found in the water where the volleyball matches are held.
3. Their new police were caught in gunfire the first day they trained. That was very recent, btw.
4. Bring your own food and water.
5. A lot of athletes are refusing to go because Zika..
6. The venues will be total targets for violent political dissent.
7. It may be safer to host the games in North Korea. I seriously doubt it could be worse.

It may still work for anyone that wants to watch or go to the games but that wouldn't be me.
2 words - Epic disaster.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
To my knowledge, only the Russian track & field teams were banned from Rio, not the whole nation of Russia. But I could be wrong.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Well, it worked and was totally worth it. Some issues but nothing that serious... yet. Still waiting to learn if Lochte and the other 3 swimmers get dropped from the US team and how many Olympic execs get jailed for scalping.
But Russia wasn't banned. The IOC called the ban illegal and also said that athletes can't be penalized twice for the same offense. But an Austrian was hospitalized because bad water and the green pool water issue was algae. The hydrogen peroxide disabled the chlorine.
But the Zika issue is totally not limited to Brazil. It's also in Miami Florida now. The Zika mosquitoes landed in the US.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-virus-now-actively-spreading-in-miami-beach/