• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Right to Die?

JaneSmith

Registered Member
Any thoughts on Right to Die?
Assisted suicide is legal in Oregon for terminal people. Well, we're all terminal but you know what I mean.

My parents are at the age when they would like the dignity of a peaceful death surrounded by their loved ones. I'm not sure health care provided that although Hospice is a nice service but sometimes it takes a lot of pain and suffering to get there.

Comments?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think as long as they are deemed sane and in a condition in which the rest of their lives would be spent in a painful or incapacitated state, a person should have the right to pick life or death. If they choose death, I believe they should be supplied with the means to do in a quiet, dignified manner (basically in a way to remove the doctor from responsibility).

Saffy

Registered Member
I think as long as they are deemed sane and in a condition in which the rest of their lives would be spent in a painful or incapacitated state, a person should have the right to pick life or death. If they choose death, I believe they should be supplied with the means to do in a quiet, dignified manner (basically in a way to remove the doctor from responsibility).
I agree with this,, as long as there are some guidelines i cant see why not:stare:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
What about assisted suicide for life sentenced prisoners?
So essentially, a choice between life in prison or death? I'm sure there'd be a good amount of people that would choose death due to the state of our prison. I don't know if I'd be really opposed to this, but I could also see it abused quite easily.

Sim

Registered Member
I agree with what was said above: People should have the right on chosing death as last resort, as long as they are still capable of making responsible decisions. Of course it must be made sure there is no abuse. It shouldn't be possible for interested parties (like relatives paying a doctor's bill) to talk someone into death, or to take this decision for that person.

Dabs

Registered Member
A right to die with dignity~
A right to get out of this world when you know you aren't going to get anymore from it, or give anything else to it.
Absolutely, I think a person should be able to choose death, if that's exactly what they want~

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I am kind of mixed with this one. I am against suicide, but if you are lying in your death bed and know that you are going to die in a few days...why not? I am friends with an old man that doctors told him that he only has 3 or 6 months to live and boy oh boy he is living it up. Even though he is in pain, he is giving money to charities, buy the whole bar shots everynight, and plans on going to Vegas and Paris before he dies. He says that he is not going to die on a hospital bed, he is going to die doing what he loves to do. Whether it be in Vegas or in Paris, or at the bar he will die doing what makes him happy.

Last edited:

JudyView

Registered Member
It is truly absurd that there are laws against a person choosing the maner and time of their own death (and against those helping when the person cannot do it on their own). It's so crazy I have no words for loony laws like that. I think people just don't want to accept that death is inevitable. It is part of life. It is where we all end up!!!

JaneSmith

Registered Member
Now Switzerland is trying to pass a law to allow relatives of terminally ill to be able to commit suicide if they wish.
I think this is kind of romantic. Especially if there is an old couple who is so bonded. When they do naturally it's usually within a couple weeks of each other anyway. So why not in the same bed?

People are going to commit suicide no matter what. It might as well be a pleasant experience. I've seen too many families destroyed from gruesome suicides. It's time to change the stigma.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SuiGeneris Politics & Law 24
DinoFlintstone Bathroom Wall 20
snowflake Politics & Law 7
Xeilo Breaking News 14
Fresh NBA 1