Ricky Williams to seek reinstatement to NFL next month

Discussion in 'NFL' started by StroShow, Sep 14, 2007.

1. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

MIAMI -- Bad news for NFL linebackers, good news for soap opera fans: Ricky Williams is planning another comeback.
    The suspended running back is eligible to seek reinstatement by the NFL after Oct. 1 and will do so, his attorney said Friday.
    In recent years, Williams has made more headlines than first downs, playing in only 12 NFL games since the start of the 2004 season. His current suspension began in April 2006 after he violated the league's drug policy for the fourth time, and a positive test for marijuana this April delayed his return.
    Williams' attorney, David Cornwell, said they spoke by phone Thursday.
    "He sounds wonderful," Cornwell said. "He sounds like he's in a great place, and I'm confident that will come through to the commissioner."
    It's uncertain how quickly the 30-year-old Williams might be cleared to return -- or where he would play. He remains under contract with Miami, where he won the NFL rushing title in 2002, but first-year Dolphins coach Cam Cameron has given no indication he wants Williams.
    Discussing Williams' most recent relapse in May, Cameron said it's difficult to salvage the careers of troubled players.
    "The easiest predictor of future behavior is previous behavior," the coach said.
    Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller is unlikely to lobby for Williams' return. It was Mueller who traded Williams to Miami when both were with the New Orleans Saints in 2002.
    Since that deal, the Dolphins have endured a five-year playoff drought, the longest in franchise history.
    Even if Miami no longer wants Williams, there's likely a market for player who rushed for 3,225 yards in 2002-03 -- assuming he can persuade a team he's eager to play. That has been a subject of debate in the past.
    "All indications I have are that he has an interest in playing," Cornwell said. "He's a very eclectic young man with a lot of interests, and I think that's good. It's good for the NFL to have such players.
    "I don't think he would go through this process if he didn't have a desire to play."
    An NFL spokesman confirmed Williams is eligible to apply for reinstatement after Oct. 1 but declined further comment.
    Cornwell said the process to seek reinstatement requires Williams to show he has followed the requirements of the NFL drug policy. Cornwell said commissioner Roger Goodell would decide whether to hold any face-to-face meetings.
    Cornwell declined to say how quickly he thought Williams might be cleared to play.
    "That's a hard thing to gauge," Cornwell said. "The commissioner has to collect a number of reports and information. I'm sure he'll move expeditiously, but I don't know what that translates into in terms of hours, days or weeks."
    The season will be four weeks old before Williams is eligible to seek reinstatement.
    Williams spent an extended vacation in Australia and India during a one-year retirement in 2004. He played in the Canadian Football League in 2006, then taught yoga in California.
    Cornwell declined to say what Williams has been doing in recent months -- or even what hemisphere he's in.
    "I don't know," Cornwell said with a laugh. "I spoke to him over the phone, so I don't want to be misleading."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80255a28&template=without-video&confirm=true

2. Lee

Lee Registered Member

I can't believe he's 30. It's a shame really, that guy was an amazing running back, and he threw it away for weed.

3. StroShow

It's a real shame. If he had his head screwed on right he could of been one of the best running backs of all time. But he was the most renown running backs of the league at one point, and he couldn't handle the fame and had a serious addiction to weed, because of that he got himself out of the league. Now he's trying to get himself back in the league at an age where running backs seems have surpassed their prime and are thinking about retirement because their body have been beat up so much. I hope for the best for Ricky Williams, but I don't expect much from him if he gets a team to pick him up.

4. Lone Eagle

Lone Eagle Registered Member

Ricky Williams? That ship sailed a long time ago guys.

5. Zanthrax54

Zanthrax54 Guest

yup, he had a hell of a gift...

I watched a game he had when he first got with Miami against the Bills he had something like 44 carries for like 250 yards and 3 TDS...UNBELIEVABLE...he was just a battering ram out there!

yer right it's damn shame.

6. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

He will be playing and he will have another few good seasons left.

Seriously his age isnt much of a factor. RBs that take light carries have longer careers. Look at where Tiki and Dunn peaked. If given the opportunity he will have a 1200-1300 yard season as a starter and a better second season when he gets back into form.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I am really hoping this guy becomes a starter in the NFL once again, I enjoyed watching him in New Orleans and in Miami. He was a dominating back, and I believe if given a chance he can rush for 1000 yards in a full season, if he gets the carries and if he stays healthy. There's a lot of teams that could use his services and someone owner should give him a chance.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

MIAMI -- Suspended running back Ricky Williams applied for NFL reinstatement Monday, his agent said.

"Ricky is extremely excited about the prospect of playing in the NFL again and hopeful for a positive response," agent Leigh Steinberg said.
    Williams has played in only 12 NFL games since the start of the 2004 season, but rushed for 3,225 yards in 2002-03. His current suspension began in April 2006 after he violated the league's drug policy for the fourth time. He tested positive for marijuana this April, again delaying his return.

Williams remains under contract with Miami, where he won the NFL rushing title in 2002. But new coach Cam Cameron has not indicated whether he wants Williams to stay with the Dolphins, who fell to 0-4 Sunday.
    "That's ultimately their decision," Steinberg said. "We've had no contact with them."
    Cameron said he would comment "if and when" Williams is reinstated.
    The NFL declined comment, saying it had not received official notification yet from Williams.

Under the league's substance abuse program, when a player applies for reinstatement the doctors have up to 45 days to submit their report and recommendation to the commissioner. He then has up to 15 days to make a decision. That means the process could take up to 60 days from the day Williams applies to be reinstated.
    Williams spent an extended vacation in Australia and India during a yearlong retirement in 2004. He played in the Canadian Football League in 2006.
    Steinberg said Williams was in "great shape" and "great spirits." He said Williams has been working with a personal trainer and continues to teach yoga.
    "He hasn't taken the wear and tear on his body in the last couple years," Steinberg said. "He's a physical specimen and he's got the potential to be among the league leaders in rushing. Aside from one unfortunate season, he's never missed a day of training camp."
    Williams' attorney, David Cornwell, deferred questions to the NFL on Monday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802e09e3&template=without-video&confirm=true

9. The_Kid

The_Kid Sexy Beast

I'd really like to see Ricky back in the NFL. He was sutch an exiting player to watch, and it's a shame to see that he threw it away to drugs.

10. StroShow

I was reading an article about him yesterday and his agent said he hasn't seen Ricky Williams so focus since they became partners. Supposebly he's in great game shape and he can become an elite NFL running back once again.

Now this his agent talking so obviously he's going to hype him a lot. But on some parts I have to beleive him. I'm sure he's hit a stage of his life that told him that his playing days are almost over and it's time for him to grow up a bit, and leave the none sence behind.

Hopefully the NFL wiil re-instate him in the league. He's a great Running Back and I enjoy watching him play on sundays.