Rick Ankiel

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Vegito728, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

I just wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on this guy. I'm happy to see him back he was a great pitcher and he still holds the record for the most strikeouts by a rookie in the Cardinals organization. Now he's an outfielder and he is a good hitter. Has anyone seen his arm? I think it rivals Vlad. But I just think it's a great story and I'm happy to see him back and I think he will help the Cardinals not just this year but in years to come.

2. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

re: Ankiel

Being from St Louis and seeing him play as both a pitcher and a hitter I can say this is one of the most unbelievable stories I've ever seen.

Rick was once a top PITCHING prospect and the fact he's gotten this far is truly ridiculous. He's one of my favorite players as a result of this comeback. To hit 30 homers in the minors and now have success this year is awesome.

Rick has a CANNON...still using that arm to his benefit. I hope he plays 140 games next season.

3. natnsoxfan

natnsoxfan Guest

Its a great story. I believe that when it was first announced that he was going to convert to becoming an OF'er his chances at making the bigs again as an outfielder were between 0 and 10 percent. Amazing story.

4. Millz

I thought he was done...there was no reason to think he'd be able to do this. He was always a good hitter...but for a PITCHER.

He's going to strike out a lot and hit about .270 but if he puts up power numbers nobody will care.

5. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

This is an amzing story, and now that he's hit 4 or 5 homeruns since the comeback makes this story a fairy tale type of story. I'm not a huge Cardinals fan but I felt bad for him after his struggles with his pitching problems. LIke all of you when I saw that he was making a comeback as an outfielder I thought he had no chances of making the team let alone hit homeruns. Well he's prove me wrong and I"m so happy about it. Hopefully he can continue to contribute for the cards.

6. Tigers246484

Tigers246484 Guest

Comeback player of the year if Josh Hamilton doesnt get it.

7. natnsoxfan

natnsoxfan Guest

Why not make 'em co-comeback players?

8. Millz

Dude is just so sick. First career Grand Slam this evening that won us the game

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This is a great story, when you saw him struggle as a pitcher you never expected him to play in the majors ever again, but now you see him as an outfielder with the Cardinals which is pretty crazy. I saw that grand slam yesterday it was pretty awesome.

Personally I would give the comeback player of the year award to Josh Hamilton just because he has better numbers, and lets be honest hes been through more then Ankiel.

10. Millz

Hamilton has been through a lot more I would agree. I would also give him the award without being overly biased for Ankiel. Rick has come a long way and had some personal demons but his life wasnt as turned upside down as Hamiltons.

They are both awesome stories