Richard Zednik in stable condition

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Millz, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

This is scary stuff. Zednik was cut by a skate blade in the throat.

NHL.com - News

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I remember seeing the video of the last time this happened. Nasty stuff, I hope Zednik's okay.

3. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

I just saw that. I can't believe a skate got up that high. Anytime skates, sticks, and especially pucks come up, you kinda have to forget you're playing hockey and just get the hell out of there.

4. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

I saw it earlier. How it happened was pretty weird. I just hope he gets better soon.

Swiftstrike likes this.
  5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Well he had to have life saving surgery. This is very scary stuff, I'm very glad that he's ok, and it's not going to get worst. Zednik was one of my favorite players when he played for the Canadiens, and I still enjoy watching him today, I'm happy that he's o.k and hopefully he will be able to play hockey again.

6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

Update

Florida Panthers - News: Buffalo General Hospital Update: Richard Zednik - 02/11/2008

Glad he's OK, bad weekend for hockey since the referee in saturday's rangers/flyers game took a skate to the face and now has broken bones in his face

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

According to all the news feeds I've been getting it hasn't really been that big of a deal other than just the initial Shock. He was properly taken care of immediately and the doctors took great care of him. We'll see him back in no time. Malarchuk was back within 2 weeks.....I wouldn't be surprised to see him back just as soon. Although the initial note is 6 weeks, but we all know how doctors like to play it safe!

Along with those news feeds have been the topics of better neck protection. They had mentioned how Canadian Youth leagues have a neck protector, but its not as prominate in the USA.

My thoughts are I highly doubt we'll ever see NHL players wearing a special neck pad for this kind of deal. However I could imagine seeing maybe an Underarmor endorsed "Kevlar" style turtle neck undershirt. Most all Underarmor undershirts are turtle necks as it is, why not make a special reinforced w/ Kevlar neck area. It wouldn't tack on that much more weight and there would be no new pads that you would have to get a hold of. Routines could stay the same and the players would be more protected.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Zednik is still in intensive care, but the doctors have said that he'll be fine and he'll probably release this weekend. When Zednik woke up for the first time after the surgery the first thing he ask was "When can I start trainning again" the nurse replied next year. So that's good news that he won't need to retire because of this freak accident.