• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Richard Seymour to Raiders!

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Source: rotoworld.com

Now this is an interesting move for both parties...

Raiders acquired Richard Seymour from the Patriots in exchange for Oakland's first-round pick in 2011.

Adam Schefter broke the news and the Patriots have confirmed it. Al Davis could have wildly overpaid him in six months if he'd just waited for Seymour to become a free agent. (Look for him to overpay shortly.) The Patriots know better than anyone that Seymour's play remains solid, but he's injury-prone and isn't nearly as dominant as early in his career. Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren are more integral to their defensive line. There was no chance New England would have re-signed Seymour, and now they get a potential high draft pick in what could be the first year with a rookie salary pay scale, all in exchange for one season from Seymour. New England's defensive line depth, which includes two good-looking rookies, made the deal easier. While the trade is short-sighted from Al Davis' perspective, it will certainly improve Oakland's defense in 2009.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a great move by the Raiders, Seymour won't be the same player he once was but he still brings a lot to the table. He'll help a lot of players on that defense as well.

I also wanted to say that Garcia was released by the Raiders as well.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I think this is a great move for New England. They get a first rounder for a guy that they weren't going to resign anyway. I would say it's a bad move for the Raiders but it's not like they know how to draft anyway. Gotta suck for Seymour, going from a class organization to the league laughing stock. But at the end of the year Davis will give him more money than he deserves so that'll make up for it.

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
I didn't even know how to react when I saw this. Knowing Bill I won't be surprised if Seymour gets hurt this season though.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well it seems like Seymour is a no show for the Raiders. I wonder if he's going to play a game with them this season. Sorry but he needs to get off his high horse and show up for practices.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Personally, I think he wants out. I don't think he wants to play on the Raiders and he's holding out. I was never a big fan of his, he always struck me as a bit pompous.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
It had to be a huge shocker for Seymour though...he thinks he's on a Super Bowl contender and then right before the season starts he's dealt to the crappiest of the crappy in the NFL, the Raiders. I dont blame him in a way.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It had to be a huge shocker for Seymour though...he thinks he's on a Super Bowl contender and then right before the season starts he's dealt to the crappiest of the crappy in the NFL, the Raiders. I dont blame him in a way.
He is being highly unprofessional about it though, even if he was shocked by the trade. Also, he apparently does want to play in Oakland, it just sounds like he wants a new contract since he's in a contract year:

Cable said he spoke with Seymour earlier this week and that the defensive lineman told him he wants to play in Oakland.

Cable reiterated that he is hopeful Seymour will play for the Raiders but declined to discuss reports the two sides were in talks on a new contract.

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
He is being highly unprofessional about it though, even if he was shocked by the trade. Also, he apparently does want to play in Oakland, it just sounds like he wants a new contract since he's in a contract year:

Cable said he spoke with Seymour earlier this week and that the defensive lineman told him he wants to play in Oakland.

Cable reiterated that he is hopeful Seymour will play for the Raiders but declined to discuss reports the two sides were in talks on a new contract.

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports
Was he asking for a new contract when he was in New England? If he wasn't then it seems a little weird.

Kind of like well I'm not going to win this year so now I want my money.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Was he asking for a new contract when he was in New England? If he wasn't then it seems a little weird.

Kind of like well I'm not going to win this year so now I want my money.
Makes sense in a job security sort of way.

I'm sure Seymour was ready to perform since it is a contract year but I think the change of scenery probably got him thinking that he needs to work things out and secure his future. Maybe he just doesn't want to be traded again.