• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Richard Dawkins is "sure" Obama is an Atheist

dDave

V.I.P.
Here's an interesting article I received in my email today.

Richard Dawkins is ?sure? Obama is an atheist – Glenn Beck

It has been a while since anybody has brought up Obama's religion. It's basically been a non issue since the 2008 election ended.

Richard Dawkins believes that both Obama and Kennedy are atheists though.

Now, I certainly can't claim to know for fact what Obama's religion is but I feel pretty certain that he's not a Christian. You can't go to Jeremiah Wrights church for 20 years and be one. He seems to be a huge supporter of Islam, I don't know if that means anything or not.

Dawkins does make a good point that it's politically beneficial (especially for the president) to say that he's a Christian.

What do you guys think? Is Dawkins correct?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
My initial thought is this...

Does it matter if he is or he isn't? I mean to me it doesn't matter to me if he is or he isn't. The religion of the President means absolutely nothing to me.

dDave

V.I.P.
My initial thought is this...

Does it matter if he is or he isn't? I mean to me it doesn't matter to me if he is or he isn't. The religion of the President means absolutely nothing to me.
Yes, it does matter. It doesn't matter because I think that all presidents should be Christians though, no, it matters because he said that he is a Christian. I don't believe that my God's name should be used just for personal gain and I suspect that's what has happened in the case of Obama. It's another lie to stack on top of what is already a huge collection.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I think he's probably some sort of Universalist. All roads lead to Heaven theology. I knew a guy that was Hindu. And Christian. Well, he thought he was and I couldn't tell him otherwise.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Yes, it does matter. It doesn't matter because I think that all presidents should be Christians though, no, it matters because he said that he is a Christian. I don't believe that my God's name should be used just for personal gain and I suspect that's what has happened in the case of Obama. It's another lie to stack on top of what is already a huge collection.
Thing is, people are always going to use your God's name for whatever reasons they want, and not always to your liking. If that's what Obama is doing to gain some political advantage then that IS a problem, but it's not like other presidents haven't done that before. I haven't met a totally honest politician yet, unfortunately.

However, when all is said and done I prefer to elect people on their policies, not on what their professed beliefs are. Voting for someone because they might be a Christian or atheist or whatever is never a very good reason.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It really doesn't matter to me what religion he is. To me its a non issue. I care more about their policies and what they are doing. That will tell you more about someone than what their beliefs are.

Reactions: Sim

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
It really only matters to me if he lied about his religion to gain political power. I don't particularly care what religion he is, although I of course believe you need Jesus to be saved so in that sense I hope he is.

Only problem is, a Christian should bear fruit. Everything he says seems to just be a pack of lies to placate us peons. Is that a result of him knowing God? I wouldn't think so. He has said he believes in "collective" salvation, which you won't find in the bible.

Not to mention Reverend Wright. I mean the man is openly racists against white people. He was his mentor. And yet just as Obama says today about the scandals surrounding his administration " what I had no idea!". He left Wrights church during the election saying "what I had no idea he had those views!"

His actions to me do not seem to be those of a Christian.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Dawkins does make a good point that it's politically beneficial (especially for the president) to say that he's a Christian.
I'm not convinced that being, or pretending to be, a Christian is beneficial from a political point of view. I would almost say being an atheist is more beneficial. Or agnostic maybe. Whilst being a Christian might get you a lot of support from the Christian community, I can imagine how that will count against you with everyone else, atheists and any other religions.

It would be pretty bad of him to say he is a Christian if he is not thought. But like Eph says, he won't be the first or last politician to lie.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I'm not convinced that being, or pretending to be, a Christian is beneficial from a political point of view. I would almost say being an atheist is more beneficial. Or agnostic maybe. Whilst being a Christian might get you a lot of support from the Christian community, I can imagine how that will count against you with everyone else, atheists and any other religions.
I would agree with you, but to a point. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it wouldn't help your political ambitions to claim any kind of religious or non religious affiliation. There will always be enough people out there who won't vote for you, no matter what thing you pick... certainly enough to possibly make or break your political plans anyway.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.

It would be pretty bad of him to say he is a Christian if he is not thought. But like Eph says, he won't be the first or last politician to lie.
I have to disagree. Claiming to be a Christian is more beneficial in the US as a politician than claiming to be an atheist. Do I think Obama is a Christian and is a God fearing man? No. Does it matter to ME if he isn't? Not really. Why is this important then? It's important because he claimed to be while sitting in a church, a popular church in Chicago mind you, and listened to a racist preacher say "GD America" and spew racial hatred. Was it politically expedient for him to be a member of that church to get votes from a certain demographic? Yes. But like everything else it shows how ignorant and unaware of his surroundings he is. He didn't know Wright said those things, he didn't know about Fast and Furious, he didn't know what was happening in Benghazi, he didn't know about the IRS targeting groups, he didn't know about the NSA spying on Americans and Merkel, he didn't know the Obamacare website wasn't going to work, yet he promises to get down to the bottom of EVERYTHING yet never does. He HAS to be the most inept and incompetent human being on the face of the planet.