• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rey Mysterio

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Okay, I hope to have a nice discussion here on Rey Mysterio. I was talking with Unity the other day about him and about how ridiculously bland he is. I realize he's one of those guys who is a face and the kids love and he sells merchandise but I think it's time to make him relevant again and turn him heel.

Or do something different with him. He's gotten the point Batista got with me before he turned heel....or Jeff Hardy. It's just the same thing over and over and over and over and over again.

He's just not as good in the ring as he used to be either.

What would you do with Rey Rey?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The first thing I would do is stop giving him a push and stop making him look like "superman" in the ring. It's funny how many fans call John Cena "superman" at times, but no one calls Mysterio that.

Mysterio is annoying to watch, it's always the same damn when he wrestles, and it's at a point where it's not believable anymore, and it's been like that for quite some time now. I still don't understand how he's still in the main event picture, to me he's nothing more then a mid-carder at this point of his career.

I don't believe turning him heel would do anything for his career. He's boring, and no one could actually take him serious as a heel, and it would be really hard for the WWE to do so, unless they do it the right way, and personally I can't think of anything that would make his heel turn a good one.

I think he should be heel, but the problem is...he's like Taker now he's getting injured all the time now. The only reason they kept putting off what kind of match Mysterio vs. Del Rio was going to has was b/c Rey was having shoulder issues.

Now I agree with him being heel, he's been a face longer then Cena...Now that's bad, I realize he's big with kids and that's what WWE wants right now to (Cough: Keep their balls in a bag and not have any) cater to them so they can have something to grow up with. But enough is enough, I think applies to anyone who's been a face for longer than two years (and I'm really stretching it), should be a heel...or even a face with heel tendencies, I would even go for that.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
He's a superman that gets called "The Ultimate Underdog" every. single. WEEK! He even called himself a small dog (or something like that) to Del Rio this week. Really? I'm sure Del Rio hasn't heard the reference before...

I was a huge fan of the guy in his ECW/WCW days, I think we all were. I was even a big fan when he was in WWE's cruiserweight division and when he first started to fight main eventers and got his first World Title.

The problem is the blandness, like Millz had described. Batista and Jeff Hardy (whether you're fans of the guys or not), were made interesting again after their heel turns.

I seriously do not think WWE will make him a heel. Ever. It bums me out, because it's possible. Have him use different moves, less high flying and more cheating. Have his style change up slightly. Get a bodyguard in the mix to do his dirty work for him. It's very possible, just zero likely.
------
I'd like to add that in this fantasy heel turn we're discussing, it would be the perfect time. Have him join Del Rio and renounce the fans.

Last edited:
He's a superman that gets called "The Ultimate Underdog" every. single. WEEK! He even called himself a small dog (or something like that) to Del Rio this week. Really? I'm sure Del Rio hasn't heard the reference before...

I was a huge fan of the guy in his ECW/WCW days, I think we all were. I was even a big fan when he was in WWE's cruiserweight division and when he first started to fight main eventers and got his first World Title.

The problem is the blandness, like Millz had described. Batista and Jeff Hardy (whether you're fans of the guys or not), were made interesting again after their heel turns.

I seriously do not think WWE will make him a heel. Ever. It bums me out, because it's possible. Have him use different moves, less high flying and more cheating. Have his style change up slightly. Get a bodyguard in the mix to do his dirty work for him. It's very possible, just zero likely.
------
I'd like to add that in this fantasy heel turn we're discussing, it would be the perfect time. Have him join Del Rio and renounce the fans.
Of course they won't, it's too much like having the balls to have one of the kids hero turn on them. What's sad is their own fear about losing their fanbase is killing the business anyway. They need to take chances, turn the kids hero's against them. All it will do is make the viewers tune on the next week to know why it happened and to see what they'll do next.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think a problem with making him a heel would be his limited mic skills...they'd need to put someone with him who can talk for him.

I still think he's talented enough in the ring to go and make an impact. But I just don't care about him in any way right now.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Of course they won't, it's too much like having the balls to have one of the kids hero turn on them. What's sad is their own fear about losing their fanbase is killing the business anyway. They need to take chances, turn the kids hero's against them. All it will do is make the viewers tune on the next week to know why it happened and to see what they'll do next.
Kids aren't as vulnerable about wrestling as we make them out to be...they'll be heartbroken if Rey were to turn heel, true, but they won't stop loving the WWE. Once the wrestling bug hits you, it's hard to shake. Even if your favorite star is a bad guy, you latch on to others. Or you like him as a bad guy if you're a little older.

I think a problem with making him a heel would be his limited mic skills...they'd need to put someone with him who can talk for him.

I still think he's talented enough in the ring to go and make an impact. But I just don't care about him in any way right now.
I think that something could be done about his mic skills when he's a heel, like a lack of speaking (instead of a manager), or just a different way of doing it...like slow and more methodical. Don't get me wrong, having a bodyguard or manager speak for him would be pretty interesting and I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

This is the only way I'd start caring again.

And this stagnant persona has been going for at least 2-3 years..I remember Millz and I being so sick of him, seeing something sweet he did in an Elimination Chamber match a couple of years ago, and he still got boring right after.

I agree. I don't think he has good mic skills, he should have a bodyguard that speaks for him, gets involved in his matches, and much more.

Hell he could pull an evolution Triple H and lure whoever is after him into a trap for his bodyguard to attack them. Make sure he's with Rey at all times and Rey could speak here and there.
------
Kids aren't as vulnerable about wrestling as we make them out to be...they'll be heartbroken if Rey were to turn heel, true, but they won't stop loving the WWE. Once the wrestling bug hits you, it's hard to shake. Even if your favorite star is a bad guy, you latch on to others. Or you like him as a bad guy if you're a little older.
I don't think kids are that vulnerable, but I do think the writers think so.

Last edited:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it was the chamber match when Edge stole Kingston spot, Unity. It came down to Edge and Mysterio and Rey Rey was awesome towards the end of the match. Then what happened? Nothing, haha.

Whenever Mysterio is in a match I always seem to say I hope anybody wins but Mysterio, haha.

Maybe that'll change someday but not yet.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Here's another answer to "What would you do with Rey Rey?"

There's not really a stable on Smackdown at the moment. This is a long-shot of what to do with him, but it came to mind so I thought I'd throw it out there. What if a Latino-based stable formed...you've got Rey, Del Rio, Chavo, you could even bring over Primo. There are a few Latino wrestlers in FCW at the WWE's disposal. It's a way to get Rey to become heel, but to share the speaking ability with others. Oh, and throw in Rosa Mendes as a valet, because I'm deeply in love with her. :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 16
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 14
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 5
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 3
Millz Wrestling 13