• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rewriting the Bible...again.

Sim

Registered Member
I don't know enough about this translation to understand what exactly they're doing.

Translation is a difficult task, and much of the translation depends on the interpretation of particular verses. So it's unavoidable a Bible translation reflects the interpretation of the translators. Naturally, Christians of some denominations will chose a different translation than Christians of certain other denominations.

So do the people responsible for this new translation just want to make a new one, because they feel the existing translations differ from their theological stances, or is this a political problem of partisan politics invading religion?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Here's the link to the actual site as HuffPost has become just as lame as FOX and CNN these days with its inability to give honest news.

It seems these days that rather than sticking to their values and promoting their ideals, conservatives are on a witch hunt after what they believe is the biggest threat to the world: liberals. People wonder why the right lost control of all government and has had to hijack the tea party's message (and thus distort it) just to gain power again. The likelihood that you'll see a conservative using the word 'liberal' like a curse word or insult is skyrocketing these days and that's incredibly dense thinking if you ask me. Also, the sheer stupidity of thinking bible passages can or should have political slants is awe inspiring. It's as if the modern conservatives supporting this concept are the scared flock of the fifties seeing communists crawling out of their toasters or it's as if the bible simply isn't good enough for them without some conservative flavoring. Turning those you don't agree with into "boogie men" is how children insult each other, it shouldn't be seen or used as a plausible tactic in a serious discussion of theology.

My initial thoughts were that some people probably really hate discussions of Christianity having a lot of passages on compassion, community, and forgiveness (things a portion of modern Christians have clearly chosen to ignore in favor of more hateful and fearful ones rather than utilizing a mix of both). Even someone like myself who hasn't read the bible cover to cover, but has read the entire thing in several sessions piece by random piece knows that Jesus Christ was in many ways quite a hippie (by our modern definition). He preached a lot of things many of us regardless of political agenda would agree to such as those mention previously. I read the page itself and I don't see much like this but I hope it's not something they intend to do (remove more compassionate or agreeable passages because they're 'too liberal' for their tastes).

One portion that I think truly explains the delusions of those who would support this can be seen in one of the last passages on that site under the "benefits" section:

- an unbiased and truthful Bible is of immeasurable value to society

By refusing to see their version as their version, they're attempting to turn their opinion into fact. Believing one's blatantly bias opinion is not is akin to mental damage and delusion. They've already called it the Conservative Bible, why would you want to pretend it isn't politically slanted? Surely there's no lack of pride, so what other reason could there be? I don't care that it's conservative, just don't try to tell people it isn't. In the end, it's basically a type of brainwashing because the only answer you can arrive it is that they're trying to make conservative thought a standard.

Over all, this should really bother people who are faithful. This is a group of people trying to rewrite the words you are trying to live your life by in favor of political gain and out of fear of those they disagree with. It should also bother those on the right and left who already live their lives by the Good Book.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It bothers me when people feel the need to help God out so they change the text to emphasis their particular social or political views. More importantly, Jesus specifically warned against this. A Christian bookstore will have several Bibles that include topical studies such as The Archeological Bible, The Prophecy Bible and The Teen Bible. They're all the same Bibles, there are just commentaries written beside the Word. That's a much better way to do it.

Reactions: Sim

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It bothers me when people feel the need to help God out so they change the text to emphasis their particular social or political views. More importantly, Jesus specifically warned against this. A Christian bookstore will have several Bibles that include topical studies such as The Archeological Bible, The Prophecy Bible and The Teen Bible. They're all the same Bibles, there are just commentaries written beside the Word. That's a much better way to do it.
That's really what bothers me the most about it and probably is one of the main reasons I remain apathetic in terms of my faith. Although, even commentary bibles like the ones you've mentioned seem kind of in the same vein to me.

Sim

Registered Member
Over all, this should really bother people who are faithful. This is a group of people trying to rewrite the words you are trying to live your life by in favor of political gain and out of fear of those they disagree with. It should also bother those on the right and left who already live their lives by the Good Book.
Couldn't agree more with both of you.

As a person who has been in a process of discovering religion for my life lately, the attempt to subjugate the holy word under political ideology strikes me as inappropriate, to say the least.

If the problem were theological differences between more liberal and more conservative denominations, this wouldn't irritate me that much, but I know about this "conservipedia" travesty and understand it's political.

IMO, a proper translation should be as true to the original as possible, which means when the original language version allows different interpretations, which leads to uncertainty in the translation, the translation should ideally reflect this ambiguity too. And when that's not possible, it should at least be documented as comment/footnote, to guarantee transparency for the reader.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
That's really what bothers me the most about it and probably is one of the main reasons I remain apathetic in terms of my faith. Although, even commentary bibles like the ones you've mentioned seem kind of in the same vein to me.
Yeah, I think I agree with you. There's still the opportunity to add to or change the meaning. I guess it really comes down to trust. I trust a John Mcarthur Study Bible but its easy to see that a KKK or Black Liberation Study Bible would not warrant any trust even though the Bible section would be the same. The issue is that putting external text in the same book as the Bible gives that external test an incredible amount of credibility and very few commentaries are really worthy of such.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
If anything MiT, it just shows that people will do whatever is necessary to spread their propaganda even if it means attempting to change an entire faith.

Sim

Registered Member
Here's the link to the actual site as HuffPost has become just as lame as FOX and CNN these days with its inability to give honest news.

It seems these days that rather than sticking to their values and promoting their ideals, conservatives are on a witch hunt after what they believe is the biggest threat to the world: liberals. People wonder why the right lost control of all government and has had to hijack the tea party's message (and thus distort it) just to gain power again. The likelihood that you'll see a conservative using the word 'liberal' like a curse word or insult is skyrocketing these days and that's incredibly dense thinking if you ask me. Also, the sheer stupidity of thinking bible passages can or should have political slants is awe inspiring. It's as if the modern conservatives supporting this concept are the scared flock of the fifties seeing communists crawling out of their toasters or it's as if the bible simply isn't good enough for them without some conservative flavoring. Turning those you don't agree with into "boogie men" is how children insult each other, it shouldn't be seen or used as a plausible tactic in a serious discussion of theology.

My initial thoughts were that some people probably really hate discussions of Christianity having a lot of passages on compassion, community, and forgiveness (things a portion of modern Christians have clearly chosen to ignore in favor of more hateful and fearful ones rather than utilizing a mix of both). Even someone like myself who hasn't read the bible cover to cover, but has read the entire thing in several sessions piece by random piece knows that Jesus Christ was in many ways quite a hippie (by our modern definition). He preached a lot of things many of us regardless of political agenda would agree to such as those mention previously. I read the page itself and I don't see much like this but I hope it's not something they intend to do (remove more compassionate or agreeable passages because they're 'too liberal' for their tastes).

One portion that I think truly explains the delusions of those who would support this can be seen in one of the last passages on that site under the "benefits" section:

- an unbiased and truthful Bible is of immeasurable value to society

By refusing to see their version as their version, they're attempting to turn their opinion into fact. Believing one's blatantly bias opinion is not is akin to mental damage and delusion. They've already called it the Conservative Bible, why would you want to pretend it isn't politically slanted? Surely there's no lack of pride, so what other reason could there be? I don't care that it's conservative, just don't try to tell people it isn't. In the end, it's basically a type of brainwashing because the only answer you can arrive it is that they're trying to make conservative thought a standard.

After reading this again, I have a few questions:

Do you think such an approach is supported by many conservatives, or are they rather a small sub-group?

And do you think this phenomenon is limited to the conservative side, or do some people on the liberal side engage in similar behavior, as the people on that site are claiming?

If yes, do you believe the blame for the partisan polarization is stronger on one side, than on the other?

I'd think that it's normal that political opinions have impact on the way you interpret certain Bible verses or their context, so are debates based on these differences. But as long as the scripture basis is the same, and people explain how they reach their conclusions, that shouldn't be a problem. But when they start manipulating the scripture itself, that's weird.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Do you think such an approach is supported by many conservatives, or are they rather a small sub-group?
Well firstly not all Conservatives follow the bible. I think it's fair to assume that a majority do but it's not all of them. Secondly, I don't think it's a majority that support this. I strayed from using absolutes in my statements because I do not think it's a majority but I don't know if I'd be able to make a decent guess either. What is clear these days however is that Conservatives have already shown their willingness to censor history in favor of political agenda in several states, so a number such as 25% in favor would not surprise me. Of course, I'd hope I was wrong.

And do you think this phenomenon is limited to the conservative side, or do some people on the liberal side engage in similar behavior, as the people on that site are claiming?
Of course. However, once again we have to realize that there are Christian liberals that contrary to popular stereotype, they're not all atheists or anti-Christian. With that in mind, liberals are extremists just like conservatives. They are the far end of their respective spectrums. Some refuse to see the harsher code in the bible or want to see religion abolished from society as a whole. Once again however, I do not think they're in as large of numbers as people think. People point to bullshit like "Holiday trees" and to me, that's the PC crowds' fault, not atheists.

If yes, do you believe the blame for the partisan polarization is stronger on one side, than on the other?
Both sides have influence and both sides polarize. There really is no way to measure it or even to answer such a question.

I'd think that it's normal that political opinions have impact on the way you interpret certain Bible verses or their context, so are debates based on these differences. But as long as the scripture basis is the same, and people explain how they reach their conclusions, that shouldn't be a problem. But when they start manipulating the scripture itself, that's weird.
People will always interpret words the way they see fit, it is natural like you said. However throwing political spin on something such as the now infamous Leviticus passages about homosexuality is not something natural. It's something people realize they can use as a vehicle for their agendas and to win voters. It's why when people mention Leviticus it's so easy to refute because Leviticus is full of insane rules and laws that nobody follows.