Reviews

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Major, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Do you read reviews for games before you buy them? How much stock do you put in them? Will you still buy a game you were really looking forward to if it got really bad reviews? Do you ever buy a game because it got great reviews, only to be disappointed by it?

I will almost always read reviews when I'm considering getting a game. I try not to let them influence my decision too much, but if the reviews are horrible then I won't buy the game.

I wasn't really interested in Mario Sunshine before it was released, but then IGN gave it a great review so I figured it was worth getting since I loved Mario 64. Well I ended up hating the game. I played it for a couple hours and never played it again after that. I'm not sure what the reviewers were thinking. Seems like a ton of people dislike that game.

2. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I never really go by the numbers (although, they're good for a quick glance). Instead, I read a few different reviews, and try to grasp what the game is about, and make my wait/buy decision based on that.

It's too bad; renting is no where near as convenient as it was in the Nintendo/Sega days. :-/

3. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

yeah, games arent cheap here, so i need to make sure i get quality ones.

I alternate between IGN, gamespot and gametrailers. I also check videos on youtube to make my own judgement about the game.

If the game has low reviews, most likely i wont buy it

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't read the reviews. Most of the time, I don't have the same opinion of whoever reviewed the game anyway. If I'm unsure of the game, I try to rent or borrow it first.

5. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't really read the reviews. Most of the time I prefer to listen to other gamers. It's just more convenient, and I trust it more. :dunno: Take Left 4 Dead. I only bought that 'cos some of the gamers here reccommended it. :p Turns out it's a great game and I play it all the time. I haven't a clue what the review said about it though. I guess gamer's actually know what they're talking about, and I can relate to that - for all I know the person who's reviewing the game never played, maybe they only saw it being played on a video or something. :dunno:

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah I don't like the numbers system that much anymore. As Yahtzee Croshaw of Zero Punctuation said, "I don't believe a complex opinion can be represented numerically." Makes perfect sense to me. I like to go to sites like Metacritic or Gamerankings to see what the overall buzz is about the game. If a game has an average score of 3/10 I'll probably avoid it. But if it is 8 or above, I just may.

7. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Eh, it depends on the game. If it's one of those games everyone's looking forward to and the review says its just alright then I'll still buy and judge for myself. Anything else I'll read about on IGN or Gamespot before buying. That tool would've come in handy for games I've had since I was 10 or 11.

8. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I won't read the professional reviews that IGN, GamePro, GameInformer or whatnot has, but rather the customers reviews. You just get a better, honest review from customers then you do from some professional, neatly done, Roger and Ebert-type of a review. I just don't like those reviews!

Sometimes I have bought and not bought some games based on reviews. Mainly, because I didn't know it had that or didn't have that feature. I've been fooled before by the box and bought blindly thinking it was a good game, but once played it was horrible. I've learned my lesson in not trusting quality products coming from XX designer that gave good games in the pass.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I do, most eveyr game I buy I read at least 2 or 3 reviews per IGN, Game informer, or whatever other sources out there. The big thing I usually try to do is get word of mouth though. Its one of the reasons I love forums so much, if I Know someone out there has the title and I'm interested in it, you can bet they'll be getting a "what do you think about it?" PM from me. Most recently I bugged KD with this :hah:

But yeah, usually the funny thing with Professional reviews is that I dont take them all to seriously, mostly I'm just looking for what functions of the game work to the best of their ability, i've noticed more often than not that Pro-Raters usually do a crappy job of picking good games. Obviously they'll rate the shoe ins high, but more often than not they give pretty great games medium to low scores while actual human users are giving it high scores. Which is the big reason I prefer to hear it from the horses mouth ya know.

10. billhicks85

billhicks85 New Member

i must admit i wont buy a game if it has bad reviews, i will always play the demo before a purchase. Zero Punctuation gives the best reviews lol.