• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Review: The Big Short

thealigator

Registered Member
Title: The Big Short
Director: Adam McKay
Link: IMDb
Synopsis: Four denizens of the world of high-finance predict the credit and housing bubble collapse of the mid-2000s, and decide to take on the big banks for their greed and lack of foresight.

Trailer:

The synopsis of this film gives an incorrect perception of what it is you are going to see. The way this film is laid out it is an action packed grabber that makes the housing and loans crisis across America and to an extent the UK look like Die Hard with suits. If this is what you are expecting I think you will be disappointed; I left depressed and angry.

The story tells of a number of groups who all come to the same conclusion: THE PUBLIC ARE FUCKED

Bankers, investors, lenders. These people FUCKED these countries, the people who bought into these promises of rainbows and unicorns and the sad reality of this is they got away with it. But then we knew that, Fox, NBC, the BBC, Channel 4 to name a few reported this! They FUCKING TOLD US! We know this! And yet these banks STILL don't seem to have been held accountable! But I am going to step down from my soap box. this is meant to be a review of film not a political or social rant and I can feel that this is what it will turn into.

I once said that coming out of Wolf of Wall Street, Akira, Reservoir Dogs and Boiler Room was like being hit in the head thirty times with no reprieve, so much information was being thrown at you you simply did not have time to process it and The Big Short is the same. There is so much going on with so many terms and figures I struggled to keep up, it was a chore, it is not a bad film despite what the gentleman who left and declared "this is fuckin' boring" thought but it is a film that you need to be switched on for and one where you should as I said at the beginning know what you are getting into.

It is a good film, the script is tight, the camera work is wonderful at times and the go betweens on scenes is well done. There is even a slight element of comedy involved. This for me is an important film. It will not win any awards I don't think. It is not Casablanca and with a year that sees the release so many big films I imagine this will fade into obscurity but I do think it is worth watching and the whole thing can be summed up in one great quote from Steve Carell:

"For fifteen thousand years, fraud and short sighted thinking have never, ever worked. Not once. Eventually you get caught, things go south. When the hell did we forget all that? I thought we were better than this, I really did."