• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Review: Short Term 12

thealigator

Registered Member
Title: Short Term 12
Director: Destin Daniel Cretton
Link: IMDb
Synopsis: A 20-something supervising staff member of a residential treatment facility navigates the troubled waters of that world alongside her co-worker and longtime boyfriend.

Trailer:

Short Term 12 is the story of a home where any child up until the age 18 can stay in safety, be monitored and looked after. It is of a group of people who are hurt, angry, damaged or just plain unhappy who come together because they have nowhere else to go. I came across this film when looking up the film career of Brie Larson as I loved her so much in "Room" and as in Room Brie delivers an outstanding performance, here is a clip:

The key thing about the place is that they are not prisoners, they do not have to stay, once they get out of the confines of the facility the carers cannot touch them and force them to come back. As someone who stayed in a recovery college for nine months this film resinated with me. I was in a place that whilst it was a college was also a place that people were monitored 24 hours a day, there was CCTV, we each had rooms, there was a suicide watch group that would monitor people with onsite therapists and this film hit home for me, it reminded me that at one time it was one of best and the worst experiences, at times I wanted to run away but I also did not want to leave.

I do not mean to get so personal but this why I love cinema and film.

It is not a film for everyone but I think it is important and if you have the chance to see it I think it is worth watching.