• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies [Review] Paranormal Activity: Pure Horror

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
There are no spoilers!

I remember when Hybrix posted the trailer to this film that I got mildly excited. I don't know why, horror movies are not my favorite genre. I love them, but I have other genres I prefer first. Something about PA got me excited and thrilled and now that I think about it, I believe it was the idea of seeing a horror movie presented in such a realistic fashion and it didn't disappoint. I never saw the Blair Witch Project so I can't really draw on it, but I know that both are similar.

What PA does quite simply is tension. The movie runs in a particular pattern. First, we see Micah, the male lead, walking around the house with his new camera chronicling his girlfriend's plight with a supposed "spirit" or ghost that seems to have followed her since she was eight (according to her). Then, after the daytime activities, the camera fades to black, then fades in again in night vision with an ominous timer in the bottom right corner, watching Micah and Katie sleeping and looking down the long hallway as well. By the third time this happened, the audience my girlfriend and I were with was gasping, clenching, and overall flat-out anxious. The movie escalates, starting with simple bumps in the night and moving to more sinister things that will not be explained here.

Not much else can really be said. There is no soundtrack and the acting is great and convincing. I can't see the movie having too much staying power however as this is best seen in the theaters with lots of people. Yet, with more and more people buying massive sound systems to go with their ginormous TV's, I can see the DVD being popular for dark nights to come.

PA is extremely tense, it's nerve wracking and it's well paced. The only real gripe I had was with the ending. It was simple and frightening (the audience was screaming for the entire remaining minute of the film) but so simplistic that it may bother you if you think about it. The film builds up some awesome tension so you'd expect quite the epic ending which just didn't happen.

However, I can seriously suggest the film. It's a lot of fun and a great scare and proof that you don't need big budgets to produce a film that really gets to you.

9/10

Aurora

Nice Review. :) I know what it's like to have paranormal activity happen almost everyday in a house. And because i have paranormal activity in my house this movie would make me freak out, haha. Can't wait to see it!

browneyes106

Registered Member
I saw this movie last weekend and I really enjoyed it. I didn't scare me but it had a good creepy factor to it. I might see it again this weekend with some friends who want to see it.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I really want to see it. I plan on seeing it on saturday with Dj.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's unfortunate, because now is probably the best time to see it since the movie is really best experienced in a large audience in a large theater with surround sound.