Nintendo 64 Retro Review: Doom 64

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Merc, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I really don't understand why there's so much hatred towards this game. It's freaking amazing. I've gotten to play it thanks to the total conversion named Absolution that allows you to play it on PC without emulation and I have to say I'm loving it.

Not only is it harder than regular ol' Doom, but the monsters are freakier, the puzzles are harder, sounds are better, music is amazing, and it has new weapons and monsters! Doom 64 is incredible and I constantly hear it getting bashed and I can't figure out why. People call it the bastard game in the Doom series but I love it so far.

If you liked Doom I suggest you google "Doom 64 Absolution" and give it a whirl. The game is a perfect copy of the N64 version and plays just as great.

Take a look here:

Doom 64 Review

So any other Doom 64 fans?

Mason likes this.

2. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

Personally what hurt Doom 64 was the clunky controller. The thumbstick was tight and had limited movement and using the 4-c buttons added to the complexity.

I think had the controller been better designed it would aided in this versions popularity.

3. Merc

See, but I never read much about the controller problems because it was fully customizable. I always read people bitching about it being the "bastard" title of the series which is unfair.

4. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

I never knew the control were customizable. I passed on it thinking the control was set it stone and I wouldn't be able to work the controls due to my disability.

With that said I can't see how this version was deemed the bastard child of the series.

5. Mason

Mason phawq

Doom 64 was a great game. I loved both the actual n64 game and the TC for PC. The level design was by far superior to Doom and Doom 2. My only complaint is that its not that hard for me. Though, thats probably because I've been playing doom games ever since I was 4 and got used to it, and the fact that I've played insanely hard wads for doom 2, such as Hell Revealed 2, and Alien Vendetta, before.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  6. Merc

Really? 64 seems a lot harder than the original Dooms to me. I'm going to have to check those other ones you mentioned.

7. AeonFlux

AeonFlux I am the edge!

I loved Doom 64, and still play it from time to time. I don't even know how many countless hours I spent playing that game when I was in high school. Once I beat it, I played it again and again from the beginning on "Watch me die!". The hidden levels kept me busy for a while too.

8. Mason

Mason phawq

Try map 32 on hell revealed 2, on ultra violence. Or try map 25 on Alien vendetta. You'll see what I mean by insanely hard. I would say you could try nuts.wad, but the fact that its over 10,000 enemies in 2 big rooms, it' lag even on some high performance computers.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  9. Merc

Massive amounts of enemies don't make it hard though. 64 has a shit ton of traps, random spawn points and general trickery that just scares the hell out of you as well as pisses you off.

10. Mason

Mason phawq

True. But those wads mentioned (excluding nuts.wad) still succeed in being insanely hard from both massive amount of enemies and traps (particularly Alien vendetta's levels). Even just the level's design can enhance the difficulty.