• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Retro Games

dDave

V.I.P.
Anyone playing any retro games recently?

I'm a big fan and always have been. I have every major Nintendo console from NES to Switch and even got into some interesting modifications for many of them. Also dabble a bit in PS2 and Sega Genesis. I got an OSSC to make old games look proper and clean on my 4K TV but recently I've just been playing on a professional grade CRT, there's simply no beating it (I have a PVM 20L5)

I played Zelda Ocarina of Time to 100% just a few weeks ago. Haven't played it in years and it was still super fun.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I picked up two Game Boy Colors, Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Red, and a trade cable. I got Alakazam legitimately for the first time ever and he's been amazing!! I can't wait to finally legitimately catch them all. This is more of a pass-time project, however, as grinding the game corner takes sooo sooo long.

I have a N64 still that I pick up on occassion.

dDave

V.I.P.
I picked up two Game Boy Colors, Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Red, and a trade cable. I got Alakazam legitimately for the first time ever and he's been amazing!! I can't wait to finally legitimately catch them all. This is more of a pass-time project, however, as grinding the game corner takes sooo sooo long.

I have a N64 still that I pick up on occassion.
Done anything to make the 64 look good on a modern TV or playing on a CRT?

Doc

V.I.P.
Nope. Just playing on my big TV for now. I don't have the room for an old CRT but I would like to pick one up before they become collector items. I need to have the ability to set up a gaming room in order to get myself a CRT for classic gaming. It's going to be necessary at some point. I'm thinking a 27"-32" with various inputs would do the job.

dDave

V.I.P.
Nope. Just playing on my big TV for now. I don't have the room for an old CRT but I would like to pick one up before they become collector items. I need to have the ability to set up a gaming room in order to get myself a CRT for classic gaming. It's going to be necessary at some point. I'm thinking a 27"-32" with various inputs would do the job.
Toshiba AF series is the best consumer grade CRT I've found. Super clean picture for a CRT. Has RF, Composite, S Video, and Component inputs (you can even transcode RGB to component if you want).

Sony Trinitron is also, obviously, a well established standard in the CRT world.

Doc

V.I.P.
I don't know that I'd buy a new one. I would rather have a classic floor model TV or plastic clamshell TV. I want the full retro experience.

dDave

V.I.P.
I don't know that I'd buy a new one. I would rather have a classic floor model TV or plastic clamshell TV. I want the full retro experience.
Yeah, I wasn't recommending a new one. The one I have is from 2002. I never had a floor standing CRT so that's not a nostalgic factor for me. Had plenty of CRTs over the years though.

If you're interested in retro games and still have your old consoles, you should look into RGB mods (or just native RGB support for some of them). It's become a really well established community in recent years and lots of really cool work has been done to improve the picture quality of old consoles.

Reactions: Doc

Konshentz

Konshentz
I recently bought a PlayStation Classic. I played it for a couple of nights and then boxed it back up. I have a lot of great memories with the old consoles, but I just prefer to play new games.

dDave

V.I.P.
I recently bought a PlayStation Classic. I played it for a couple of nights and then boxed it back up. I have a lot of great memories with the old consoles, but I just prefer to play new games.
How is the PlayStation classic? You’re the first person I’ve known that has one.

I understand the drive to play newer games. Tons of cool stuff has come out pretty recently and technology has taken games further than anyone could have known 30 years ago when all this retro stuff was relevant.

I just built a new gaming rig so I’m hoping to get to play more recent stuff.

Konshentz

Konshentz
How is the PlayStation classic? You’re the first person I’ve known that has one.
It was fine. It had a decent game selection and everything played and looked pretty similar to how I remember. I would say it's definitely a step below the Nintendo mini consoles, but that's a surprise to no one. Haha.