• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo Retro Bit Gaming Systems

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Has anyone ever gotten one of these systems? Are they reliable? From what I have seen these gaming systems are brand new, but they play the old school games. I found this one, which has the capabilities of playing NES, Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games.

Is it too good to be true, or do they actually work?

Konshentz

Konshentz
I've seen these too. I really wanted to buy one, but I had some of the same questions as you. I'm hoping someone here has answers. Haha.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yeah. My genesis burned up in a fire, and I've always regretted getting rid of my Super Nintendo. I have the original NES, but I think one of these newer systems would be worth it, if it actually works and is reliable.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've seen similar stuff. People are always happy with them at first and then they end up breaking on them (I've known two people).

I think you'd be better off getting the original system/s or looking into possible re-releases that exist out there.

Most NES, SNES, and Genesis games are available via Virtual Console on the Wii and Wii U (you can also get the Sonic Mega Collection for XBOX). I still prefer to play games in the true original format though. I'd recommend getting a Wii (or Wii U) any day of the week over a retro bit gaming console), the games are also much cheaper (NES titles are $5 each and SNES are $8 each, you'd pay at least double that on eBay for the real games, probably more)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've never seen or even heard about anything like this before. Interesting. I'm not sure I'd get one (especially if they're not reliable) since my old consoles are still in working condition, but if any of them were to break, then this thing would be worth considering, especially since I don't have a Wii or Wii U to buy classic games for.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I was just wondering if they would have the same problems as the NES. Mine, I have to blow in it, and pretty much take the cartridge in and out and wiggle it around to get it to even play the game any more.

dDave

V.I.P.
I was just wondering if they would have the same problems as the NES. Mine, I have to blow in it, and pretty much take the cartridge in and out and wiggle it around to get it to even play the game any more.
You probably need a new 72-pin connector. That's not as advanced to fix as it might sound. It's literally using a screwdriver to take the top off the console and soldering one thing I believe.

Other times it's the cartridge themselves that have a worn out chip connector. Getting a new console won't fix this problem.

Do you have any friends with any type of electronics skills?

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
If it's as simple as replacing that with just the aid of a screwdriver, then I could probably handle that on my own. Is a 72 pin connector easy to find? I'm sure I could find a video on youtube to replace it myself.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
There's tons of videos on how to replace the connector. You should never blow in a cartridge. It causes unnecessary corrosion of the connectors and only causes more issues. The action of taking the cartridge out and putting it back in is what causes it to work again. Blowing in it was always a common myth on how to fix it.

Here's a link to the new connectors: Amazon.com: NES 72 Pin Connector (Bulk Packaging): Video Games

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Video Games 10
Crouton Video Games 4
dDave Video Games 2
penny4URthoughts Autos 5
PretzelCorps Video Games 13