• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests passed

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Westboro Baptist Church protesters will soon be severely limited in their ability to disrupt military funerals, after Congress passed a sweeping veterans bill this week that includes restrictions on such demonstrations.

Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests, Delivers Blow To Westboro Baptist Church
I don't like seeing my right to protest limited but in this case I'm glad they did. Now that church will have to find some other way to harass the grieving relatives of fallen soldiers.

Frenzy

Registered Member
As happy as I am to see a stop to one of the most disrespectful protests of all time I realize I just lost another constitutional right. Hmmm this FEMA theory is looking more and more plausible by the minute...

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
As happy as I am to see a stop to one of the most disrespectful protests of all time I realize I just lost another constitutional right. Hmmm this FEMA theory is looking more and more plausible by the minute...
actually the text of the First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

I would hardly call the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church "peaceable assembly". I wouldn't call a hate group "peaceful" by any stretch of the imagination.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I have mixed feelings on this. While I do not condone or respect the Westboro Church, what they have done thus far is essentially protected free speech. Just because something is hate does not mean it shouldn't be protected. I'm not sure this will pass Constitutional scrutiny.

Frenzy

Registered Member
actually the text of the First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

I would hardly call the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church "peaceable assembly". I wouldn't call a hate group "peaceful" by any stretch of the imagination.
True and false. Yes they protest the funerals of the men and women who fight for our freedom, which sickens me to no end. But in the same respect for the most part it is a "peaceful" protest without violence which means they as well as you and I have lost a constitutional right. It does not bother me one bit these morons won't legally be able to protest anymore, what does bother me is simply this. What's next? Abortion clinics? The White house? Congress? State or city buildings or property? I feel with this passed into law it's just the start of more to come.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
So long as they are not enacting violence, and since for the most part have even been about a mile away from a funeral, they would be a peaceful assembly.

dnno1

Registered Member
Well it looks to me that you still have the right to protest. You just have to respect the grievance of the families of deceased veterans. Apparently you won't be able to protest 2 hours before or after a funeral ceremony.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The 300 feet does not bother me, the two hour restriction does. But I'd rather read the bill rather than relying on an article.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a double edged sword for me. I hate the fact that church shows up at funerals of soldiers causing the relatives even more grief but at the same time I don't like the right to do this taken away. If they have a problem with the war why can't they just go to the Pentagon and protest there. These fallen men didn't start this war.

The Supreme court upheld their right to protest once, said it was protected speech. So if Obama does sign the bill it could end back up in the Supreme Court.

Westboro Baptist Church wins Supreme Court case for right to protest military funerals

It seem these people are equal opportunity haters, they hate everyone. Because of their protest's some states have already passed laws on this. Interesting what they have been up to.

Westboro Baptist Church From Wikipedia

dnno1

Registered Member
The 300 feet does not bother me, the two hour restriction does. But I'd rather read the bill rather than relying on an article.
I don't know if you use Govtrac, but you can read it here. The prohibition is in Title VI. I am not too pleased with the way it is written. I have a lot of trouble swallowing the rebuttable presumption claim against violators. To me, it is reasonable to think that someone wearing an antiwar T-shirt in the vicinity of the area could be held in violation when that may not have been their intent.