• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Restaurant Owner Yells at Toddler

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/...eaming-at-crying-toddler-20150723-gijcfq.html

I've seen this story going around and it seems to have brought up a hug debate about whether or not it's acceptable to yell at a child that isn't your own.

Personally, I find what the parents did unacceptable. And I've never been a parent, I don't have kids of my own so maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about. But if my toddler cried for 40 minutes straight in a restaurant then I wouldn't just ignore it. I would tell them off, I would take them outside, or even sacrifice my meal and take them home.

Everybody in that restaurant paid to be there and have a meal out, and they don't deserve to be in the same room as a wailing child for the entire time. If the parents are just going to sit back and do nothing, then maybe the owner or someone else did need to step in and take a stand.

Recently I was at the opening night of a film festival. It was a big event, speeches from filmmakers, champagne for everyone etc, and while the films were screening this baby started crying. And they cried for a full 10 or 15 minutes over the film before the parents took them outside. If it was me I'd be running out of there the second the baby made even a sound considering the location and situation. I hate it when parents keep their screaming kids in places like this.

But again, I'm not a parent. So I'd love to hear the opinions of those with kids on this topic.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm a parent and I wouldn't have sat there and let my kid cry like that. Usually when a child cries for that long something is wrong, sick, tired, something. If the parents wanted to go out they should get a sitter instead of making everyone that is trying to have a nice time suffer.

I really don't blame her for yelling at the kid. The parents were repeatedly asked to take the kid outside. The parents were the ones being insensitive to everyone around them.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't blame this restaurant owner at all...this kid is making the dining experience for everyone else terrible. They were asked to leave and it shouldn't have had to come to that.

These parents are terrible at parenting.

Rapier

V.I.P.
Community parenting. Crying is a signal. Plus crying for a half hour isn't good for any small child. In the absence of masking tape a good startle works for me.:p