• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Responsibility in the Media

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yes, it's another thread spawned from Unity's thread!

Simple question Tucker unearthed, is it okay for pundits and other talking heads to use inflammatory remarks and methods and then be free of blame when violence they were suggesting actually happens? I'm not saying they should be jailed but shouldn't this require a higher level of responsiblity? For example:

Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly want Michael Moore Dead

Beck said he wondered if "I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it," before concluding, "No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out – is this wrong?"

(I use this example as right wing pundits like Beck tend to have a high amount of these sorts of comments, help me get one up here for the left because they ain't free of this shit either)

Basically, when popular figures suggest things such as this, shouldn't they be held to some level of liability when their listeners do something? Especially if it's something that gets preached constantly? If not, why? Is it fair to place the entirety of the blame on the actor? Sure, they did the act itself but is influence a non factor here and can it be ruled as such?

shelgarr

Registered Member
Nope, no one that is famous that has a stage to get out their message on a massive scale should be inflammatory. Especially our politicians, especially the media, especially hollywood. Grow up! Sometimes they are a bunch of punks. I'm unclear how to categorize the political shows however. They are specifically there to entertain and entertainment often is inflammatory.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I think I believe in freedom of speech and expression. I think people are responsible for their own actions.

If I tell you (figuratively speaking, not you specifically Cons;)) to go jump off a cliff and you do is it my fault?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
You frame the question far simpler than it really is I fear.

You and me, that's one story. But someone with millions of consistent viewers who utilizes an inflammatory style of conversion meant to incite fear, rage, or prejudice against groups of or single people is abusing their power and responsibility as a media figurehead. It's not just punidtry, the media as a whole doesn't have any amount of liability anymore.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
What ever happened to personal responsibility? Why shouldn't every person be aware that they alone are responsible for their actions? Are we really so far down this path of "I had a tough childhood, I was picked on, my mommy didn't love me enough, I heard some guy on TV that didn't like that guy so I shot him, it's not my fault" that we now hold the guy on TV to blame for our actions? How sad that we let people get away with blaming others for their actions.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I would agree those in the media, those that have listeners and watchers, have a responsibility to use it that power wisely and professionally. They shouldn't be calling for the death of someone or inciting violence simply because they disagree with them politically (in other words someone saying I'd like to kill Osama Bin Laden for what he did on 9/11 to me wouldn't be the same thing).

That being said, I believe in freedom of expression and personal responsibility. People are responsible for their own actions, I'm not responsible for anyone else's actions.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
What ever happened to personal responsibility? Why shouldn't every person be aware that they alone are responsible for their actions? Are we really so far down this path of "I had a tough childhood, I was picked on, my mommy didn't love me enough, I heard some guy on TV that didn't like that guy so I shot him, it's not my fault" that we now hold the guy on TV to blame for our actions? How sad that we let people get away with blaming others for their actions.
I'm not sure where I said they're free from blame. Amusingly enough, I said they are to blame but that many draw inspiration from others. You're playing this 'tough guy' card again which isn't so effective. Sure, some people are beyond soft but denying the role of powerful voices entirely is simply moronic.

I would agree those in the media, those that have listeners and watchers, have a responsibility to use it that power wisely and professionally. They shouldn't be calling for the death of someone or inciting violence simply because they disagree with them politically (in other words someone saying I'd like to kill Osama Bin Laden for what he did on 9/11 to me wouldn't be the same thing).

That being said, I believe in freedom of expression and personal responsibility. People are responsible for their own actions, I'm not responsible for anyone else's actions.
Yes, they are responsible for the action they take. But it's very hard to deny that people with such power shouldn't be reprimanded for their violently stylized language or hate speech that leads to violent action.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Cons: I wasn't suggesting that your opinion is that they are free of blame, I'm suggesting they are completely to blame.

But I will play along, how should Obama be "reprimanded" for telling Latinos that republicans are their enemies and should be punished?