• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Responsibility for your own actions

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
One of the many podcasts I listen to is by the group "simply syndicated" called The Definitive Word, they take a subject and will then analyse it, one of the subjects that they discussed was Health and Safety and how it is entirely possible we have gone a little mad with H&S, one of the examples was when one of the presenters worked for pizza hut and they were warned about putting your head in the trash compactor after someone tried to do it.

The thing that gets me is why would anyone do this? The McDonalds coffee etc has warnings that the coffee is hot, yeah go f**kin figure! Its a hot coffee! Where does personal responsibly start and end?

Hiei

The Hierophant
I agree with you, the US (and probably other countries for that matter) have gone WAY overboard. Why should we need a warning that a plastic bag is not a toy? Or that you're not supposed to keep your hair dryer around a pool of water?

I believe that the average adult should be able to make these common sense decisions and stay out of harms way, but you will always have those people that are going to exploit the system however they can. If my Mc Donalds coffee doesn't have a warning on it saying that it's hot then how am I supposed to know that it's going to burn when I pour it in my lap? It's not MY fault that I didn't know it was going to be hot, the company clearly should have warned me about it.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
The McDonalds coffee etc has warnings that the coffee is hot, yeah go f**kin figure! Its a hot coffee! Where does personal responsibly start and end?
I hear that incident mentioned often by those who side with corporations over individuals. Now, I'm not anti-McDonald's; I've defended them against people spouting the pathetic meme that the restaurant chain is somehow to blame for their obesity (because they never overindulged on anything they bought from the supermarket, right? Riiight.) Just give this a quick read-through and you'll see why I don't think that's an example that serves your premise.

snopes.com said:
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]McFact No. 1: For years, McDonald's had known they had a problem with the way they make their coffee - that their coffee was served much hotter (at least 20 degrees more so) than at other restaurants.

McFact No. 2: McDonald's knew its coffee sometimes caused serious injuries - more than 700 incidents of scalding coffee burns in the past decade have been settled by the Corporation - and yet they never so much as consulted a burn expert regarding the issue.

McFact No. 3: The woman involved in this infamous case suffered very serious injuries - third degree burns on her groin, thighs and buttocks that required skin grafts and a seven-day hospital stay.

McFact No. 4: The woman, an 81-year old former department store clerk who had never before filed suit against anyone, said she wouldn't have brought the lawsuit against McDonald's had the Corporation not dismissed her request for compensation for medical bills.

McFact No. 5: A McDonald's quality assurance manager testified in the case that the Corporation was aware of the risk of serving dangerously hot coffee and had no plans to either turn down the heat or to post warning about the possibility of severe burns, even though most customers wouldn't think it was possible.

McFact No. 6: After careful deliberation, the jury found McDonald's was liable because the facts were overwhelmingly against the company. When it came to the punitive damages, the jury found that McDonald's had engaged in willful, reckless, malicious, or wanton conduct, and rendered a punitive damage award of 2.7 million dollars. (The equivalent of just two days of coffee sales, McDonalds Corporation generates revenues in excess of 1.3 million dollars daily from the sale of its coffee, selling 1 billion cups each year.)

McFact No. 7: On appeal, a judge lowered the award to $480,000, a fact not widely publicized in the media.

McFact No. 8: A report in Liability Week, September 29, 1997, indicated that Kathleen Gilliam, 73, suffered first degree burns when a cup of coffee spilled onto her lap. Reports also indicate that McDonald's consistently keeps its coffee at 185 degrees, still approximately 20 degrees hotter than at other restaurants. Third degree burns occur at this temperature in just two to seven seconds, requiring skin grafting, debridement and whirlpool treatments that cost tens of thousands of dollars and result in permanent disfigurement, extreme pain and disability to the victims for many months, and in some cases, years.
[/FONT]
Is a cup of coffee supposed to do this?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Why else do you think Americans are perfectly fine with letting their politicians do anything they want without answering for the declining state of their countries? People in power are getting all the passes because our country is getting lazier and people don't want to deal with responsibility anymore. They just pass the buck along.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Please don't misunderstand me Tucker, it is not my intention to say that McDonalds are entirely innocent, it may be that they do have a lot to answer for, my argument is that in certain situations people can be too quick to blame others for there own ignorance and stupidity. I am not saying the person in your example was ignorant or stupid by any means but I think we live in a culture where people don't always think things through.

Hiei

The Hierophant
Even if I did somehow manage to spill skin boiling hot coffee into my lap and need medical treatment, I still wouldn't sue the company that sold me the coffee because it was probably my fault in the first place that I spilled the coffee in my lap.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I am not saying the person in your example was ignorant or stupid by any means but I think we live in a culture where people don't always think things through.
And I would agree, while adding that I think corporate negligence is also real and someone should be accountable.

Even if I did somehow manage to spill skin boiling hot coffee into my lap and need medical treatment, I still wouldn't sue the company that sold me the coffee because it was probably my fault in the first place that I spilled the coffee in my lap.
Haha, I did that once after drinking with a bunch of friends. Commando was my style at the time, so the supremely heat-conducting zipper was lying against my unit, branding the poor thing with a red zigzag stripe that lasted days, lolol. I had spilled the coffee while replacing the lid after putting sugar in, so it was my own fault (or maybe the cup designer's). I will say this, though: if that coffee had been near boiling when it hit me there, and my junk ended up scalded like that lady's legs, I might have maimed the person who poured it.
------
Also, @ Hiei: It's possible that you wouldn't sue, and I'm sure that you mean it when you say that, but you never know for sure how you're going to feel about a situation until you're in it. After feeling the pain yourself, you could conceivably decide that 200ish degree coffee does a lot of damage and no one has any business serving it.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
This has bugged me on several occasions too. I think I made a thread about this when I was new and also I talked about it on another forum recently. I keep observing how easy it is for people to put the blame on others for things that go wrong - and while others might be responsible for what happened (moral or otherwise), I think we should look at our responsibility too. Others' mistakes don't negate ours.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I think it comes down to people actually complaining about obvious things, such as coffee being hot. Some people will try anything to get money and they don't care how stupid they sound.
At the end of the day these places are just doing what they can to cover their own back. At least then they can say the warning was there.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Regardless of the merits of that particular case, I think we all agree that there ARE frivolous lawsuits.

Of course people should be responsible for their own actions. But companies can still be expected to make reasonable accommodations.