Respecting Your Elders?

Twitch

Registered Member
Do you automatically respect people who are older than you, and agree with what they're saying because they "have more experience than you"?

I'd have to say I don't. I constantly argue with my parents (when I know I'm right, not to be a brat), and with my teachers.

Just the other day I argued with my English teacher about a grammar mistake she made. My English teacher. A grammar mistake. Hmm..

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yes I do always respect my elders, I always have. That's not to say I have to agree with them or keep that respect. But my initial reaction towards any elder has always been respect until they lose it. And even then, any disagreement is done respectfully.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
respecting and agreeing are 2 different things.
you may respect someone though you disagree with him in many ways.
i do respect my elders, but this has nothing to do whether i should agree with them or not.
the way you disagree plays an important role and it shows how much you respect them or not.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
No. People have to earn the right to be respected. Just because someone is born before me doesn't mean i'm going to bow down and kiss ass. I'll probably be a little nicer to them, and watch my language, but that's about it. Other than that, I treat them the same as I treat everyone.

Last edited:
No. People have to earn the right to be respected. Just because someone is born before me doesn't mean i'm going to bow down and kiss ass. I'll probably be a little nicer to them, and watch my language, but that's about it. Other than that, I treat them the same as I treat everyone.
I kind've agree with this. I mean I'll be more courteous and I'll treat them more "respectfully" however, they don't immediately gain my respect. I think there's a difference between treating some respectfully and actually respecting someone.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Do you automatically respect ever elder? What if you meet one and he doesn't tell you he was a pedophile or still is, would you still respect him just because he is old? So I would have to say no, not just be cause they are a elder in the community.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I am the same as Imp and Sui, I will be more respectfull in the way I act around and towards people of a certain age, as it is the way I was raised, but that does not mean they will have my respect as that has to be gained through time.

Some people of the older generation expect respect from the moment they first lay eyes on you, even though they treat the younger generation with little to no respect.

But my initial reaction towards any elder has always been respect until they lose it. And even then, any disagreement is done respectfully.
This. But then again, that's how it is for everyone with me. A certain level of respect definitely has to be earned, though.

Watching bitchy teenagers or kids who act like they think they know so much better than their parents/elders really bugs me, so it kind of reminds me to be respectful, since people with more life experience than me inevitably do know better, sometimes. Totally depends though.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I have the same problem as you Twitch, my English teacher's grammar is atrocious. I am the only one who actually knows how to stand up to him without getting owned. I do respect my elders, but if they are constantly being rude to me, get fucked, you're gonna get the same treatment pal.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I respect people of all ages equal and expect the same in return. I would not want someone to respect me just because I might be older than them.

I have good friends ranging from 20-60 and I respect them all on their individual merits, my behavior does not differ based of their age.

If you were to ask do I respect the opposite gender, then yes I do. I would say I am slightly more thoughtful about my behavior towards females than that of males.