Resident Evil Vs. Silent Hill

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Merc, Jun 17, 2007.

?

Which video game series is supreme?

1. Silent Hill

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Resident Evil

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Okay, so I thought a neat idea to liven up the game section would be to pit two games or game series against one another and start a discussion as to why one is better than the other. This week, the action survival horror game mega-series, Resident Evil (or Biohazard as it's known in Japan) versus ultra-creepfest survival horror, Silent Hill.

To start, let's look at Resident Evil. The series came to being in 1996 with the first title being released on PS1. It defined a new and rising genre by setting the standard of horror. RE has always been more action and puzzle oriented, engulfing the player in a paranoid state where monsters no sane mind could imagine could dive out of any corner at any given time.

Silent Hill is often seen as a mirror image of Resident Evil because of it's lack of action and focus on the psychological. SH is a series that swallows the player with engaging and haunting storylines, horrifyingly good visuals, and psychotic creatures that may just leave you scarred. Many people have told stories of how SH does a magnificent job of disrupting sleep and sanity.

Those are just teaser blobs into both series. If you haven't played either series, you're not a gamer. Sorry. Even if this isn't your genre, you should still take the time to play RE4, regarded as the best in the RE series, or SH2, also regarded as the best in the series.

For those of us who know the games, what do you think?

My vote: Silent Hill

Why?

Silent Hill represents something I love in games, movies, and books: an enticing story with real characters. The major bonus with Silent Hill is the incredible fear factor that comes with the game. Resident Evil does a lot of shock scaring, but Silent Hill toys with you. It slowly wears away at your mind and breaks it down. I love Resident Evil, it was the first series I got into. However, Silent Hill just appeals to me more because of the stories, the atmospheres, and the overall effect.

What do you think?

2. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Silent Hill all the way.

I just love how it was made, puzzling.

3. MasterChad

MasterChad Registered Member

i dont know!!!

Silent hill no wait Resident Evil.....
    Im not a scarey games kinda person..

4. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

Resident Evil for the win! Though Silent Hill has a scary story line and play, Resident Evil puts it into shame. The connecting stories between the survivors and villians cant be beat, besides that....they brought back Ada Wong back in Resident Evil 4!!!! She rocks my socks for sure.

~Shwa'

5. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't think Silent Hill has a game. Resident Evil does. And it's WAY better than the movie.

6. Merc

Wait . . . what?

I'm so lost right now.

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Protip: Silent Hill and Resident Evil had games BEFORE they were movies. In other news, you fail at this thread.

I haven't actually played a Silent Hill game except for 2. And even then it wasn't to completion. But I do like the psychological aspect of Silent Hill more than Resident Evil's. The demo of Silent Hill for PS1 made me think I was going to suck ass at it, until I found out that the first time you meet the monsters of Silent Hill was actually a dream.

8. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

Though the basis for Silent Hill is suppose to be a survivor horror game like Resident Evil is, it mostly turns out to be a type of psychological thriller more. I've played the 2nd and 4th Silent Hill games, part 2 is alright, goes more along with the story of the movie (because they use more stuff from that game version). Part 4 I couldn't beat though (couldn't get out of the first damn room, man thats embarrasing!) Besides that there are not a lot of games that mess with you minds anymore, usually its just kill and complete an objective knowing whats going to happen in the end.

My favorite Resident Evil game would have to be Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, besides the sheer fact you get to play as the heroine Jill Valentine from the first resident Evil Game, but the S.T.A.R.S hunter Nemesis freaked me the f***** out when I played it as a freshman, gave me nightmares too.

~Shwa'

9. Merc

:lol:

I remember handing the Playstation control to my buddy next to me when you first see Nemesis and saying, "Your turn!"

If you got far enough, I'm sure you'll remember the part where Nemesis attacks in the newspaper office. That scared the ever-loving shit out of me.

10. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

I would say Resident Evil. Just because I have had more fun playing them then I have Silent Hill.