• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo Resident Evil game for the 3DS implementing new save feature...

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
That allows you to only have one save slot. Ever. That can't be deleted.

Resi Evil: Mercs 3D: no save data reset News - 3DS - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

Apparently this is something Capcom is testing out to combat second hand game sales at places like GamsStop, which long as been a thorn in game makers sides.

Now, it should be mentioned that this game isn't a story-based game. It's a series of timed missions, so the whole goal is just to beat the high scores, and not to progress a plot, which makes it slightly less stupid. However, this means that if you buy it used, or rent it, the game card is going to have all the high scores of the previous owner/renter on it.

I really hope that this doesn't become a trend. I can kinda see it catching on for multiplayer games (though it would still be annoying to me), but I can't see any conceivable way that it could be implemented in a single player game without causing a huge shitstorm.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Ugh. That really sucks. If they want more people to buy new games, lower the damn prices! Why would I buy a new copy of Guitar Hero World Tour, when I can get it for 5 bucks online? It is stupid.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
*sigh*

You know Capcom, I stood up for Resident Evil 5 and a lot of the other shit you've pumped out lately. But this, this may be it. Maybe someday I'll give you my money again but for now, you can politely go fuck yourselves.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
The key phrase in that statement is "right now." I find this pretty alarming because this shows how desperate developers are getting to put a damper on the used game market. I won't be surprised to see developers start to put access keys in each copy of the game that permanently links one copy of the game to one system/account. I may be being rather alarmist about this, but I can't see anything positive that this can lead to.

dDave

V.I.P.
I really hope that this doesn't become a trend. I can kinda see it catching on for multiplayer games (though it would still be annoying to me), but I can't see any conceivable way that it could be implemented in a single player game without causing a huge shitstorm.
Yeah that's bad enough that I simply wouldn't buy the game if the makers are that dumb.

There was a similar issue I had with Jet Force Gemini for N64, it's impossible to delete your multiplayer data though you can erase and start over on 6 different saves for the single player, not quite as bad.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Save System In RE: The Mercenaries Is Not Returning - News - www.GameInformer.com

How save files work isn't usually a major issue in gaming, but Capcom found itself defending Resident Evil: The Mercenaries' unconventional way of saving data last week. Given the controversy surrounding the method, Capcom says that it is unlikely to use that approach again.

At issue is the fact that The Mercenaries doesn't allow you to erase your saved data and start over. This led many people to assume that Capcom was trying to wage war against used game sales by effectively making a game impossible to sell back to a retailer once it has been played.

Capcom denies any evil agenda, though senior VP Christian Svensson admits (in a video interview with Capcom Unity) that the company probably won't be using the system again. He says: "It's fair to say there was never quite the malicious intent the conspiracy theorists out there would have you believe. It's also fair to say in light of the controversy it's generated I don't think you're going to see something like this happening again."

With that settled, it's time to find something new to complain to people at Capcom about. Hey, remember how they're redesigning Dante?

(Source: Eurogamer)

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
Well that definitely gives me a bit of optimism. At least they were willing to come out and say that they dropped the ball with this system. I still think that game developers are going to keep looking for ways to dick with the GameStops of the world though, even in their plan has hit a speed bump.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This is a topic that is rather polarizing, and I find myself to believe that Capcom is doing it wrong. Why in God's name would you not institute a system to delete old saves when practically every game before it had delete-able saves? It is clearly an attack on used game sales. It's a horrible idea.