• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Researchers develop tiny tractor beam.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Researchers have developed a small-scale laser beam capable of moving microscopic particles nearly 8 inches, an important step in developing a “tractor beam.”

Researchers develop tiny tractor beam, and they’re sure they could make a larger one
I know 8 inches doesn't sound like much but this is a hundred times farther than they have done it in the past. They were also even able to steer the object. Now its just microscopic particles but they believe they can do this full scale too.

Looks like we are on our way to a Star Trek future.

Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I wonder if fairly high intensity lasers, microwaves, or RF at wide wavelengths could be strobed with a negative phase to generate heat waves around and behind an object that push the object toward the emitter using air pressure. Wouldn't work in space mind you, but there may be a way to bombard an object from behind with ions using a similar technique. :)

Just a thought.

- Chameleon

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't understand exactly how a tractor beam works but I think the applications of one might be interesting. Like in military use and of course this would eventually get around to domestic use. I doubt that happens any time soon but who knows.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Likely the best uses for a tractor beam would be when building in space. Instead of Canad-arm we'd have Cana-beam. Also, if a big rock was headed Earths way, it'd be nice to be able to tow it off course. A powerful tractor beam could also steady planes coming in for emergency landings if they are having flight control issues. TB's could also potentially be used in reverse to propel objects into space.

- Cham