Republicans bash Britain's NHS

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Nevyrmoore, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

'Evil and Orwellian' ? America's right turns its fire on NHS | World news | The Guardian

What was fuck?

Quick question, why just Britain? Why not the systems in other European countries?

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Thats all they are, I guess the ones they are appealing to are the ones who have no contact with the outside world.

The main reason I imagine they have targetted the UK system is because being the pessimistic bunch of haters we are they assume our discontention with the NHS is real and not just a national trait. Everybody knows all Brits talk about is how bad the weather, knife crime and the standard of our healthcare. Yet we have one of the mildest climates, lowest serious crime rates and a half decent healthcare system:confused:.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  3. JAdams

JAdams Registered Member

Plus, we like to conjuer up rivailries between ourselves. XD Britain and the US had been friends since 1812 pratically so there is an occassional "My country is better than yours so nah!"

At least that's how I see it. I fully expect Britain to launch back with a few comments themselves.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Well, to be fair, that's an inaccurate protrayal of the disagreements some people have with the UK system. Many people, including myself, don't like the UK system and don't want to live under the UK system. The opposition to it that I have aren't "outlandish political attacks", they're valid complaints about the system that I don't want to live under. If people in the UK are happy with their system, good for them. But if people here don't want it their opposition to it shouldn't be characterized as "outlandish political attacks". That's a ridiculous statement.

Reminds me of those stupid Harry and Louise commercials, or whatever they're called, that are in support of a national health care plan. It's a couple discussing national health care and in the end she says, "a little more cooperation and a little less politics, we can get the job done this time". So the people opposed to the plan are uncooperative and are playing politics? Let's just ignore people's objections and be quick to label, huh? That's not playing politics, is it? That's what this nonsense from the Guardian reminds me of.

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

...& like I stressed in the other thread, this is not an objection to people objecting. People are free to critisise the NHS. But thats not the problem here is it. The problem is that people are making lies in their objections making the UK sound callous and indifferent to healthcare, bash the UK healthcare system by all means just make sure the bashing is legitimate.

You and I have had long and lengthy debates on this issue and I think we can both agree that their are legitimate pros and cons of both systems. These are not the outlandish claims they refer to. Its like the Stephen Hawking claim, that had me physically laughing and my view of those fighting your fight a lot less credible. Its like we have 5 legitimate reasons to not want a system like the NHS but incase the American people dont understand we willl exagerrate our concerns and also make some up to be sure.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I didn't say you objected to people objecting, my point is the article lumps all those objecting as "Republicans making up outlandish lies" about the UK system which is poor journalism. It doesn't say "there are some things that are being said that are untrue", "some objecting to a NHC plan have made some things up", it labels ALL those that object as "politically attacking" UK's system which is false.

By the way, they cite Republicans are complaining about waiting lines and rationing, aren't those true to some extent? How are those lies?

As far as the Stephen Hawking claim...meh, who cares? That has nothing really to do with the substance of the complaints many have.

While we're on the subject of making sure the bashing is legitimate, I agree, but that goes both ways, ie, the "50 million uninsured" "people dying in the streets", etc......

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  7. welburn75

welburn75 Registered Member

Well I don't get why people are complaining about an NHS style thing in this US,
    it allows the poor to be cared for and the waiting list aren't as long as people are making out, average is around 8 weeks, not the same as a day but if its free.
    plus 50,000,000 basically the population of the UK bear that in mind a lot of people the US are sayin dont deserve medical care.