• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Republicans asked Tehran to delay prisoner swap until after presidential election

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Members of the US Republican Party asked Iranian officials to delay a recent prisoner swap until after the November presidential election because they were worried about Obama winning a public victory ahead of the polls, according to an Iranian admiral.

“We were carrying out negotiations with the Obama administration, when representatives of the Republican Party got in touch with us,” Admiral Ali Shamkhani, secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of Iran, told France 24. “As a favor, they asked us to do what we could to hinder the talks and to push them back until after the next US presidential elections – in other words, after President Obama’s departure.”
Republicans asked Tehran to delay prisoner swap until after presidential election – Iranian admiral

I don't know how true this is since names weren't given but if it is this was stupid of them. I think the Iranians would hate it if we had a republican president and wouldn't be above making something like this up.

Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't know if it's true either, but it wouldn't surprise me given the parallels between this and the Iran hostage crisis, which influenced the 1980 presidential election between Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, and was mysteriously resolved on the day of Reagan's inauguration.

Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio have credited Reagan for the resolution of the crisis, whereas experts on the crisis say Iran released the hostages that day as a final insult to Carter.

There is also the October Surprise conspiracy theory, which alleges that the Reagan campaign made a deal with Iran to delay the release of the hostages until after the election in exchange for weapons and assets.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've heard that about Reagan and the hostages so so I guess this could be true, not like its outside the realm of possibility that our government would do something like this. Some of the republicans did write that letter to Iran over the nuclear deal. Seems like I started a thread about it.