Republicans again block unemployment bill

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Unity, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

This is from the 'Nation Digest' section of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, who got it from news services. Their site is www.stltoday.com

Thoughts?

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I have mixed feelings about this. There's no doubt there are millions of people who just simply are not looking for work and instead are living off unemployment relying on the economy coming back by the time Congress finally stops paying them. We just simply cannot expect to get out of our economic situation by continued government spending,

3. Unity

Do you really think that there are Millions doing that?

People don't just want minimal money...they want a job, fulfillment, health insurance, etc....

4. CaptainObvious

I do.

I didn't want minimum either when I was delivering pizza. Then again I was expecting to support myself on minimum either.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way implying the amount of people to be in the majority, but there is a significant number of people who are not looking for work any longer and have no intention to until the unemployment money runs out. At some point people have to take responsibility for themselves and the situations they are in, but that should be construed as meaning able working people who are not actively looking for work or doing something to improve their situation in life.

And as stated earlier, this makes us getting out of the economic situation we are in harder to get out of. It's been three years, certainly we would be in a better situation by now had we just done absolutely nothing.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  5. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Good! Why should I be forced to pay others to NOT work?

6. theotherone

theotherone Registered Member

In my opinion it's not about who's not working because they're lazy or not - use that sort of money to open the market and encourage start-ups. You want jobs? Make it easy to start business and create innovation and provide employment.

Invest that money into people who are showing creativity and motivation to start something new and therefore create new jobs. Then the people who are extra motivated get their break, and they can bring everyone up because they're providing new employment opportunities at the same time.

7. CaptainObvious

I agree. We tax and spend to encourage and discourage behavior. We tax beer and cigarrettes to discourage smoking and give tax breaks to encourage buying a new house for example. In this instance we're continuing to spend on those not working, so we're encouraging people not to work. I think it would be better if we encouraged consumer spending rather than government spending.

8. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I'm split, but I lean towards having a problem with it.

I 100% disagree with SmilinS. You act like you are the only one paying. I'll refer to my mom in this one which recently lost hers because and I quote from the Unemployment Office "You weren't laid off a week earlier". What about this people who have been working for 20 years putting into the unemployment, and now they lose their job. You don't think they deserve being paid for that? They took bits out of their paychecks so in case something would happen and they'd lose their job, they'd have something. Now their are no jobs around (in my area anyways).

I have a huge problem with people like, which I will reference towards my uncle for this one, people who do everything they can to get paid without working. Sure, he worked 30 years, but he's been on unemployment (just recently lost it) for over 2 years and he refuses to try and get a job. As long as he attempted to apply at a job, they let him keep it. So he'd apply at McDonalds and not answer if they'd called. Now he's getting food stamps and other government programs.

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I do believe there are an astounding number of people who would, are, and will milk unemployment benefits for everything its got.

Just last Tuesday I was standing in line for the Midnight release of Eclipse and I had nothing more to do than Listen to the conversations of people around me. Two guys ahead of me were talking about working on their Cars... The short dark haired one said "Lithia is hiring, my department is shorthanded right now" and the tall red headed one with the goatee said "I'm making 2 grand a month on unemployment... Lithia isn't going to pay me that, fuck that".

I only remember that because I was sour over the fact that he was pulling in more money on Unemployment than I am working 50+ hours a week.

Then Speaking of where I work, I get calls all the time asking if we're hiring. At LEAST 1 out of every 5 flat out say "All I need is a no".... apparently when I tell people "no we're not hiring" it counts as them Job searching and they can report that as an "Effort" :shake:.

Unemployment is very dangerous, way to many people I've talked to have said that without a doubt in their mind; Unemployment is an Opiate that will take control of your life. What better situation is there in this life than to get paid to not work? I'll begrudgingly admit that I've smiled and felt intrigued with the idea of losing my job then collecting Unemployment for a Month or Two while I rack up my PS3 scores.

Taking those into consideration... I would say that there are vastly less people using the Unemployment honestly than there are those who are using it dishonestly..... I'd venture somewhere around a 30/70 percent split and that's being fair in my mind.

10. Unity

But are you basing this dishonest use on your personal view of society, secondhand info, and overheard conversations? Or have you read studies, etc.? Just curious.