Republican National Convention

Wade8813

Registered Member
Just because you disagree doesn't mean they were bad speeches. I'm no democrat, but Obama's speech last week was a good speech. I disagree with him on absolutely everything, but that doesn't mean it was a bad speech. I thought both speeches were effective and accomplished what they set out to do. The family intro's were long - but that's the image they are trying to convey, and it worked - so who can blame them. Look on all the news sites, and you'll see pictures of the Palin family. Tell me that wasn't planned out.

Both sides are attacking both sides right now, and the democrats have been going crazy lately. Republicans can't just stand around and not Two nights ago Obama was comparing his campaign managing experience to Palin's city council and mayor experience. He seemed to forget that she is governor - with the highest approval rating in the country. If Obama wants to compare apples to apples, then why doesn't he compare his 21 million dollar monthly campaign budget to the multi-billion dollar budget that Palin has to manage. Palin had is right tonight to compare her time as mayor to Obama's time as a "community organizer". And it's funny that Obama feels the need to attempt to play the experience card on Palin rather than McCain (which he still loses).

I have to admit though, I don't want to see this bashing go on for the remainder of the election. That could definitely get old. I think both sides will come around.
I agree with a lot of what you say, except that last sentence. If you believe that, you're way more optimistic than I am :rolleyes:.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The family intro's were long - but that's the image they are trying to convey, and it worked - so who can blame them. Look on all the news sites, and you'll see pictures of the Palin family. Tell me that wasn't planned out.
What image? That they have a perfect family? What about their 17 year old unmarried 5 months pregnant daughter? Track? Trig? Seriously.

I have to admit though, I don't want to see this bashing go on for the remainder of the election. That could definitely get old. I think both sides will come around.
That's one of the biggest problems I had with her speech. She spent most of the time bashing Obama and hardly any time discussing the actual issues, which is what really matters.

And for the record, I'm far from an Obama supporter. I refuse to ever vote for either major party.

Wade8813

Registered Member
What image? That they have a perfect family? What about their 17 year old unmarried 5 months pregnant daughter? Track? Trig? Seriously.
That they have a family, they care about families, and relate to the issues that affect families.

That's one of the biggest problems I had with her speech. She spent most of the time bashing Obama and hardly any time discussing the actual issues, which is what really matters.
So then you should have virtually every political speech ever. The way you were phrasing it, you made it sound like these were significantly worse than others.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That they have a family, they care about families, and relate to the issues that affect families.
George W has a family. Who cares?

So then you should have virtually every political speech ever. The way you were phrasing it, you made it sound like these were significantly worse than others.
Maybe I'm wrong, my memory isn't that great, but it seemed like Obama and Biden spent a lot more time talking about stuff that matters.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Those were two of the worst speeches I've ever seen. Rudy Giuliani, wow. I felt like I was watching someone run for student council.
I have heard Democrats and Republicans pan the Rudy speech. I only saw about 15 minutes of it, but I thought Rudy was on fire. I loved it more than just about anything I've seen yet. It must just be my personal preference.

The Palin speech was a one-of-us speech and I thought it was an absolute home run.
"drilling will not solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all." That sort of talk resonates. You hear people from every side talking down to you on the issues. How many times have you heard "Well, you see drilling will only add .1% in 10 years, you just don't understand oil supply and demand." And its not just oil, I thought she hit homeruns all night long.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you thought the Palin speech was impressive then you'll be even more impressed to know that her teleprompter wasn't working properly. She actually brought out an older draft hard copy of the speech (different than the final draft in the teleprompter) and made due with that when the teleprompter flaked out.

Palin Overcame Teleprompter Problems, Missing Hard Copies - America’s Election HQ

It could have been a lot worse for her if she had freaked out about the teleprompter technical problems on her most important speech of her career so far. It could have ended up like this:

YouTube - Obama without his teleprompter

Wade8813

Registered Member
It could have been a lot worse for her if she had freaked out about the teleprompter technical problems on her most important speech of her career so far. It could have ended up like this:

YouTube - Obama without his teleprompter
Maybe that explains why Obama looked completely lost when discussing his abortion stance at Rick Warren's church down in CA (when he said the abortion issue was 'above his pay grade' :lol:.

I thought it was really weird that this guy who was supposed to be super eloquent looked like a fish out of water.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
he was an instructor at a Prestigious Law University? That just blows my mind you'd think he would have more talent in speaking off his feet. Cracks me up how some of these Top Politicians are such Prompter Monkeys. Take the prompter out of the equation and their brains whither away to nothing.

Wade8813

Registered Member
he was an instructor at a Prestigious Law University? That just blows my mind you'd think he would have more talent in speaking off his feet. Cracks me up how some of these Top Politicians are such Prompter Monkeys. Take the prompter out of the equation and their brains whither away to nothing.
I don't know about law schools, but I know at some universities, profs are picked for their knowledge of the subject, not their ability to teach.

Also, I'd imagine some people get used to the prompter, and become dependent on it.

If you thought the Palin speech was impressive then you'll be even more impressed to know that her teleprompter wasn't working properly. She actually brought out an older draft hard copy of the speech (different than the final draft in the teleprompter) and made due with that when the teleprompter flaked out.
..in all fairness, she could've used any republican speech written in the last couple of years without anyone noticing the difference. :lol: