Republican National Convention

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

The RNC is next week starting Monday, although Hurricane Gustav may push it back.

Speculation and discussion are welcome.

2. fleinn

fleinn 101010

Massive police raids on suspected protestors in Minneapolis.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I've been reading the Twitter pages of several legal observation teams (who watch to make sure police abuse or false police allegations don't happen), and there were at least 150 arrests today, despite the convention only having a skeleton crew. Several prominent journalists from Democracy Now! were arrested under charges of inciting a riot (one of them, Amy Goodman, is a best-sellling author and radio host), which audio Tiny URL - create a shorter link

and observation teams seem to disagree with. Legal teams have been arrested, groups of concertgoers have been rounded up Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media. 100 or so people are being detained on Shepard Road by the Xcel, and the National Guard has been called in. Several times, bridges into St. Paul were shut down to prevent protesters from leaving or arriving.

It'll be getting rough.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I'd say tonight was quite the way to start off the week.

Fred Thompson told it how it was in what I think was the best speech I've heard from him ever, if not the best political speech this year. He also talked a good deal about the character of John McCain and what he went through as a POW. He also emphasized that being a POW in itself does not qualify a man to be president, but it definitely shows the character. One particularly moving part of his speech for me was when he mentioned that John McCain's arms were tied and broken so much when he was tortured as a POW that he can no longer raise his arms above his shoulders. He had a chance to leave the Vietnam prison 5 years early but he wouldn't go against the honor code, which was "First in, first out." He would most likely be in much better physical condition today if he had agreed to leave early, leaving fellow prisoners who had been captured before him but instead he kept his honor. The speech was quite powerful. Here it is for those interested:

YouTube - Former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson at RNC

Then Joe Lieberman (Al Gore's running mate in the 2000 election if you don't remember) gave a knock out speech about the importance of being an American first, and having party affiliation second. He said himself that he's not the Democrats favorite Democrat but the fact that he was VP nominee just 8 years ago and now backing John McCain speaks volumes. His speech:

YouTube - Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) addresses the RNC

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the week plays out.

5. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I love seeing Fred speak. Even though his Presidential run was the least inspiring of the bunch. His place is to be the wise grandfather role rather than the leader.

Tonight's the most important night this election. If Palin flubs this, its probably over. I've seen her hit homeruns many times before. She ran against and beat a somewhat popular sitting Republican governor. She knows how to handle pressure.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Those were two of the worst speeches I've ever seen. Rudy Giuliani, wow. I felt like I was watching someone run for student council. Palin, thanks for spending 20 minutes introducing your family. Nice names for your children.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well the media loved the speeches and I expect the response from the conservative base to be quite strong. Both of them said exactly what needed to be said and the speeches were delivered perfectly. Rudy Giuliani hit Obama hard on the very points Obama considers his "strong points", and Palin exceeded the high expectations set for her by the recent media feeding frenzy. Joe Biden's speech last week was nothing more than a blurb in the media. Nobody cared because Biden is just more of the same.

Come on... Some people actually prefer a candidate who isn't ashamed of their family. You won't see Barack Obama introducing his "uncle" at any conventions.

8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Republican Convention report card: Sarah Palin - CNN.com

Everyone there gave her an 'A', except one, and he gave her a 'B'. That doesn't exactly strike me as "one of the worst ever".

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

That's great, I'm glad you and the so-called experts enjoyed it. I felt like I was watching a toast at a wedding reception.

10. Brandon77

Brandon77 Registered Member

Just because you disagree doesn't mean they were bad speeches. I'm no democrat, but Obama's speech last week was a good speech. I disagree with him on absolutely everything, but that doesn't mean it was a bad speech. I thought both speeches were effective and accomplished what they set out to do. The family intro's were long - but that's the image they are trying to convey, and it worked - so who can blame them. Look on all the news sites, and you'll see pictures of the Palin family. Tell me that wasn't planned out.

Both sides are attacking both sides right now, and the democrats have been going crazy lately. Republicans can't just stand around and not Two nights ago Obama was comparing his campaign managing experience to Palin's city council and mayor experience. He seemed to forget that she is governor - with the highest approval rating in the country. If Obama wants to compare apples to apples, then why doesn't he compare his 21 million dollar monthly campaign budget to the multi-billion dollar budget that Palin has to manage. Palin had is right tonight to compare her time as mayor to Obama's time as a "community organizer". And it's funny that Obama feels the need to attempt to play the experience card on Palin rather than McCain (which he still loses).

I have to admit though, I don't want to see this bashing go on for the remainder of the election. That could definitely get old. I think both sides will come around.