• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Republican campaign running amok -- Palin: Obama a "terrorist"; man wants to kill him

Sim

Registered Member
Oh yeah, the Republicans and McCain are running a "clean" campaign, with no attempts of character assassination and smears ... like when Palin suggested in Florida Obama is a "terrorist":

"And, according to the New York Times, he was a domestic terrorist and part of a group that, quote, 'launched a campaign of bombings that would target the Pentagon and our U.S. Capitol,'" she continued.

"Boooo!" the crowd repeated.

"Kill him!" proposed one man in the audience.

In Fla., Palin Goes for the Rough Stuff as Audience Boos Obama | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Wow, now the McCain campaign even puts up with the lynch mob. There is an election to lose, after all, so why not attempting to get this demographic to the ballot boxes?

See what happens when you open the pandora's box of hatred, xenophobia and racism? When you deliberately fuel it? See here:

OCTOBER 8--Angered by a delay in the receipt of his voter registration card, a Louisiana man today threatened to shoot election officials, claiming that he urgently needed to cast a ballot to "keep the nigger out of office," according to police. Wade Williams, 75, was arrested this morning on a felony terrorizing charge after allegedly calling the Registrar of Voters and warning that he would come to the state office and empty his shotgun unless he got his registration card. Using profanity and racial slurs, Williams told a state official "about needing to vote to 'keep the n***** out of office," according to an Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Office affidavit, a copy of which you'll find here. Though the document does not name the candidate to which Williams is so violently opposed, it seems likely he was referring to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama. After being arrested at his Monroe home, Williams was booked into the Ouachita Correctional Center, where the below mug shot was snapped. En route to the jail, he "continued his 'tirade' about niggers and also stated that he had a shotgun, but had it hidden at his residence," reported Lt. Michael Judd.

"Keep The N*gger Out Of Office" - October 8, 2008

Didn't McCain claim at some point he is above the basest smear campaigns and character assassinations? Why does his campaign now fuels the basest instincts in the ugliest segments of the population?

If Obama gets murdered by an angry man who wants to keep this "Muslim n***** terrorist" out of office, some blood will be on Palin's and McCain's hands too.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It's less than a month before the election. The campaigns are just getting more desperate especially when you're trailing in the polls. I've read about that rally responses by supporters and maybe the candidates just didn't hear or prefer not acknowledge. I'm certain this is not only a Republican thing. I mean I won't be surprised if some Obama die hard supporters are resorting to bad campaigns too (except that they probably don't do it with Obama so close to be associated with endorsing such).

Sim

Registered Member
It's less than a month before the election. The campaigns are just getting more desperate especially when you're trailing in the polls. I've read about that rally responses by supporters and maybe the candidates just didn't hear or prefer not acknowledge. I'm certain this is not only a Republican thing. I mean I won't be surprised if some Obama die hard supporters are resorting to bad campaigns too (except that they probably don't do it with Obama so close to be associated with endorsing such).
Oh I'm sure the Obama campaign is capable of a few dirty tactics as well -- but I have yet to see such abhorrent smears on such a pathetically low level from their side. Maybe I have overlooked something, though, so if anybody is aware of Democrats labelling McCain as "terrorist", "anti-American", suggesting he is Muslim or connected to terrorism due to his first and middle name, or questioning his patriotism by suggesting he is a "traitor" -- then just show me the sources. It would surprise me, though.

It also seems to me that while Obama's "connection" to Wright and Ayers has been pushed in the media up and down, and was often mentioned in speeches by Republicans, the similarly "sinister" connection of McCain and Palin to equally extremist people like John Hagee (who said "Hitler did God's work"), Jerry Falwell (who said "9/11 probably was what we deserved") and Alaskan secessionists has never been a topic in the Democratic campaign.

http://is-mccain-ready.org/2008/10/...and-sarah-palin-hangs-out-with-secessionists/

micfranklin

Eviscerator
I'm pretty sure the "kill him" shout was taken out of context, but for the terrorist part that's also out of context because she was actually talking about Ayers right before she said that.

Last edited:

Sim

Registered Member
I'm pretty sure the "kill him" shout was taken out of context, but for the terrorist part that's also out of context because she was actually talking about Ayers right before she said that.
But it obviously was Palin's intention to connect Obama to terrorism. And it's safe to say she is well aware that the hateful "Obama is a Muslim!" or "Barack Hussein Osama" are indeed out there, and that she deliberately attempted to fuel these sentiments.

I think that's not a fair or clean campaign tactic -- it's a vile and hateful smear campaign tactic.

micfranklin

Eviscerator
But it obviously was Palin's intention to connect Obama to terrorism. And it's safe to say she is well aware that the hateful "Obama is a Muslim!" or "Barack Hussein Osama" are indeed out there, and that she deliberately attempted to fuel these sentiments.

I think that's not a fair or clean campaign tactic -- it's a vile and hateful smear campaign tactic.
Vile and hateful are the right words to use, but this is politics and that's usually what happens, especially when you're desperate for votes....or trying to get people to look away from you.

Reactions: Sim

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
If I was an Obama supporter and I really wanted to hurt McCain, I would go to a McCain rally stand as close as I can to the media and start saying "McCain YES - Hussien Obama NO!" "keep the niggers out of office!"

or

If I was a McCain supporter, I could go to an Obama rally and stand as close as I could to the media and shout "Obama YES - No women in office!" "McCain is a nazi" <---Not that any media outlet would actually publish crazy people at a Obama campaign like they do at McCain campaigns.

I'm just saying you can't discount the possibility that people are showing up the rallys to get negative press. It reminds me of when Obama was running in the primary and at every rally, there were women fainting. I don't think Obama had anything to do with that, but it sure seemed like a group of people got together and decided they would either help Obama out by creating this Obama mania or a group decided to discredit him by the same means.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
If I was an Obama supporter and I really wanted to hurt McCain, I would go to a McCain rally stand as close as I can to the media and start saying "McCain YES - Hussien Obama NO!" "keep the niggers out of office!"
I'm just saying you can't discount the possibility that people are showing up the rallys to get negative press.
That's some carefully hedged language there, my friend. Are you willing to make the accusation outright, or are you content to McCain it out there sideways and see if it sticks? Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like, but I think those are genuine right-wing space cookies saying what they actually feel.

If I was a McCain supporter, I could go to an Obama rally and stand as close as I could to the media and shout "Obama YES - No women in office!" "McCain is a nazi" <---Not that any media outlet would actually publish crazy people at a Obama campaign like they do at McCain campaigns.
Okay, three things here: one; Democrats abhor such underhanded, reprehensible and distinctly Rovian tactics and I can't recall a single incident in which the party has employed same in any campaign since the post-Civil War Reconstruction period. Two; you can bet your ass that it WOULD be acknowledged by EVERY major news outlet if an apparent Obama supporter shouted the same type of retarded but newsworthy hate speech that we're now hearing at McCain events. Three, if you know anything about Obama's character, you know that he would swiftly repudiate any such indefensible epithet and forcefully call upon his supporters to desist in full from making that type of comment -- in stark contrast with his opponent, whose petty silence in that regard is both damnable and damning.

It reminds me of when Obama was running in the primary and at every rally, there were women fainting. I don't think Obama had anything to do with that, but it sure seemed like a group of people got together and decided they would either help Obama out by creating this Obama mania or a group decided to discredit him by the same means.
Young women did the same thing--in droves--at Beatles concerts, and at Frank Sinatra shows well before that. In fact, the phenomenon of 'fainting' has been around for hundreds of years. I don't think there's reason to suspect collusion beyond that of small groups of friends in any of these cases. It's far more likely just an individual's overly dramatic way of showing intensely felt appreciation for what she (and occasionally he) perceives to be a semi-mythical figure.

On a side note: if Palin really first heard about William Ayers in the New York Times this week, as she so strongly implied, then she's far more out of touch than even I had imagined. I think that was nothing but a bold-faced lie, a bullshit justification concocted by the Republican smear machine for rolling this old chestnut out of the closet in a desperate attempt to close the favorability gap between the tickets. I mean, did she not watch the George Stephanopolous-moderated debate in which the subject was duly addressed... and seriously, does anyone really believe that she actually reads the Times?

Sim

Registered Member
@MenInTights:

Oh you're right, such incidents may happen. Supporters of one candidate or another may do things to damage their opponent without approval of "their" candidate's campaign, inofficially.

But the main problem I have with this story is that Palin deliberately attempted to link Obama to terrorism -- it was Palin herself, not just one of her supporters she has no control over.

When you fuel the mob with such notions, then it's likely some nuts overreact sooner or later.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.

or

I'm just saying you can't discount the possibility that people are showing up the rallys to get negative press. It reminds me of when Obama was running in the primary and at every rally, there were women fainting. I don't think Obama had anything to do with that, but it sure seemed like a group of people got together and decided they would either help Obama out by creating this Obama mania or a group decided to discredit him by the same means.
No, you can't discount that possiblity. However, if McCain were truly a leader, he would speak out against such comments. He hasn't.

At the next debate, Obama should look McCain in the eye and ask him "Do you believe that I'm a terrorist, John?"