• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Reports: Yao Retiring

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
NBA - National Basketball Association Teams, Scores, Stats, News, Standings, Rumors - ESPN
Very, very sad news. This reminds of a lot of what happened to Bill Walton. Had a chance to be one of the best centers of all-time, but his knees/legs couldn't handle the pain any longer.

I've always been a fan of Yao Ming, I always wanted him to succeed since he had remarkable skills for someone that height, and he is a very nice gentleman. I always thought he would make a comeback and be a role player for the Rockets, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Sad to see him go on these terms.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Bodies that big are hard to keep well maintained. It's too bad.

BigBob

Registered Member
What I think he needs to do.. take a year off, retire for just a year and then come back to the Rockets. That's what his body needs.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
What I think he needs to do.. take a year off, retire for just a year and then come back to the Rockets. That's what his body needs.
If he does decide to come back, he's probably going to be asked to play for various team sin China too so it's not just playing for one team.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
He pretty much took the whole year off this year. He's at a point in his life that he knows he can't play anymore, and that's why he's retiring. His body can't take it anymore, it's simple as that, and I don't believe taking a year off or two would change anything.

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
This had to happen poor guy has been hobbled for the past two years. It really is a shame he was a big man who dominant in ways we hadn't seen for sometime. I'm positive that if he played out his whole career he would have been a HOFer no doubt. But this is the right decision for his health and his family.

Comet

Registered Member
It was fun watching Ming while it lasted. Shame he couldn't have had a long and healthy career. He almost certainly would have been a Hall of Famer if he had. Unfortunately injuries drastically cut short an extremely promising career.