Report: Wings to announce deal with Zetterberg

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Ahaha, I was just getting ready to post this.

I agree though, it is a very good deal for the Red Wings. If they really do keep him for the 12 years, then they are pretty much set. If they can keep Datsyuk, Franzen, Hossa, Kronwall and Lebda, they are pretty much set for a few years still.

3. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

really sick deal. how the hell does detroit manage to do these deals? i bow to their superior signing abilities.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I have to agree, its a huge reason they are so successful every year. I mean to keep the big names like Zetterberg on the payroll and still keep 'em happy, it is an amazing balancing act they've always managed to work so well.

Always have to commend them for those efforts

5. greyham_G

greyham_G Registered Member

thats an insane deal! and being a die hard red wings fan a great one at that haha.

6. Babe_Ruth

You also have to remember that if it wasnt for the Wings scouts than they wouldn't have all these amazing players like Lindstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen. These players were drafted in the late rounds. It's amazing how these scouts have an eye for talent. The best drafting team in the last 20 years, no doubt about that.

7. Puckhead58

Puckhead58 Registered Member

I'm getting sick of seeing all these crazy long contracts. Whenever Rick DiPietro signs his 15 year deal....it just started a chain of similar contracts and I think its awful.

In DiPietro's case, he isn't healthy. He has hip and knee troubles and has had numerous surgery's on both, but yet he is still locked into his huge contract even though he isn't playing. Now Zetterburg signed a 12 year deal and now his back is giving him trouble. Who's to say his back might not bother him for the rest of his career?? Then the wings made a terrible deal.

I guess maybe I'm old fashioned or something, but if I was a GM of a hockey team, I wouldn't be signing anybody for any longer than 6 years. Some contracts would be for 1,2,3,4 or 5 years, depending on the player, but only 1 person one my team would be signed for a 6 year contract and he would be the best player on the team which I could shape my franchise around....everybody else would be signed and given contracts that reflect their role on the team.

8. Babe_Ruth

I believe one of the main reasons why he was signed to such a long contract is that they kind of get a deal out of this. With this deal the Red Wings are pretty much going to pay Zetterberg six million a year for the rest of his contract. Now I know it's going to be much more than that for a few years, but thats what it pretty much comes down to.

Zetterberg's back is hurting him a bit, and I agree with you signing a player for this long is a huge risk at times, because anything can happen during that period of time. But with a player like Henrik, I just believe you have to take that risk.

9. Puckhead58

Puckhead58 Registered Member

Oh yeah....he is definitely worth the risk, but 12 years?? I don't know man. If Zetterburg plans on staying with the Wings for his whole career, then I guess this is a good deal....but if he has any intentions of leaving after 5 or 6 more years, then the Wings aren't getting that good of a deal if you ask me. They will basically be paying him for his best years as a pro hockey player. He will be the best he is going to be over the next 5 or 6 years of his career so he will be making more money in those years than he would in his last 6 years of the contract. The Wings will be paying for his prime years and if he leaves after 6 years, then the team that he goes to will be paying for his after-prime years which will be cheaper.

I dunno....I guess no matter what way I look at it, I'm not a fan of big, long contracts.