Report: Strasburg needs Tommy John surgery

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Millz, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I dont have a link quite yet but it was just reported on ESPN's first take.

What a damn shame this is.
    ------
    Found this on rotoworld.com

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

It's a shame, but doesn't mean he won't be able to recover and still be a dominant pitcher. Just to throw a few names out there that had the surgery and came back stronger.

Chris Carpenter: Was a .500 pitcher with the Blue Jays, gets Tommy John Surgery and released by the Jays, and then becomes one of the best pitchers in the Majors.

Josh Johnson: He had Tommy John and look at him this year.

3. Millz

Jaime Garcia of the Cardinals had the surgery at age 21 so anything is possible...look how good he's been this year and he's only 23.

Strasburg might come back and throw 105 MPH haha...but regardless this sucks and it sucks for Nationals' fans. You never know how someone will bounce back.

4. Babe_Ruth

I just don't want people to start labeling him as the next Kerry Wood or Mark Prior, he doesn't need to deal with that stuff, especially that he's going to go through major surgery. I wish him the best, and a quick recovery, but hopefully the Nationals orginazation won't rush him. Let him have that full year to recover.

5. Millz

I agree...I don't want to see him pitch in 2011 no matter what. It's just not worth it...let him sit it out and get his arm where it needs to be.

The kid is still young and you cannot mortgage his future because I doubt the Nationals will compete next year.

6. Babe_Ruth

I agree, I think he'll be out close to 14-1/2 months which should give him plenty of time to recover from this surgery. There's no need to rush him, especially that he's only 22 years old and he's a big pitching prospect.

It's more important to have him as your ace in a few years when the Nationals have a chance to contend in the National League East.

7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I just heard that he isn't going to pitch next year which is good, he's going to need the recuperation time. I agree, it's a shame, I've enjoyed watching him albeit mostly in highlights this year, but the kid has been been a stud.

8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I hope he can keep both his velocity and his command. It's a crying shame for someone of his age and caliber to suffer such a horrible injury.

30 years ago this was a career ending injury.

9. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I was bummed to read the thread title/headline, but to hear of the examples given in the thread so far I'm a lot more optimistic.

Best wishes to Strasburg.

10. Babe_Ruth

My friend made a good point the yesterday, look at Nolan Ryan, he threw very hard and threw a lot of innings in his career and never had to get Tommy John surgery. Maybe young pitchers that throw hard like Straburg should look at some Ryan's pitching mechanics.