Report: Reggie Bush to lose Heisman

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree that if they are to strip the award... it should be given to the Runner up also.

However I still think that they are going overboard with the Bush/USC issue. Should it be Bush that gets all of this Flak when it was USC that was the one paying him to play? To me, him getting paid to play didnt change the ability he exhibited on the field.

The Heisman is meant to be given to the "Most Outstanding Player in Collegiate Football". Was Reggie Bush not that?

To me I feel that the Punishments should belong to USC for paying him. Its not like Reggie Bush caliber players are going to colleges and asking to be compensated financially. Hell most of them are aware that they'll make the NFL, probably early! This to me is equivalent to punishing the Junkie with life in Prison and then giving the Dealer a slap on the wrist.

Last edited:

konboye

Registered Member
I agree that if they are to strip the award... it should be given to the Runner up also.

However I still think that they are going overboard with the Bush/USC issue. Should it be Bush that gets all of this Flak when it was USC that was the one paying him to play? To me, him getting paid to play didnt change the ability he exhibited on the field.

The Heisman is meant to be given to the "Most Outstanding Player in Collegiate Football". Was Reggie Bush not that?

To me I feel that the Punishments should belong to USC for paying him. Its not like Reggie Bush caliber players are going to colleges and asking to be compensated financially. Hell most of them are aware that they'll make the NFL, probably early! This to me is equivalent to punishing the Junkie with life in Prison and then giving the Dealer a slap on the wrist.
I agree. Then again, rules are rules. But in a situation like this, a fine would have been enough, suspension even, but not for the player. Bush could plead ignorance, USC should be the guilty party here.

He definitely knew what he was doing, and he knew it was wrong. I don't think Bush could plead ignorance in any way. I can see why some people think it's too harsh to strip him of the Heisman, but I would agree with the decision to take it away.

The Heisman is awarded to the "most outstanding player in college football," and as soon as Reggie accepted money and benefits, he no longer was playing college football, he was basically playing semi-pro football. Or that's how I see it anyway.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Steve, just curious to know why the award should be vacated? Personally I don't believe in any way that it shouldn't be given to Vince Young if Bush loses the award. It's just doesn't look good on the NCAA if you look back at their history and see no Heisman trophy winner in 2005.

BigBob

Registered Member
Vince Young already said he wouldn't take it if he was vacated. As it was said the other day, why would you want an award they wouldn't give you then, but now that it got taken away from the 1st place winner, their like.. oh hey, here you go.. now you can have it.

It wouldn't be right to give it to him and it would be a kind of slap in the face.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't have any issues of him saying that he wouldn't accept the award, I agree it's a slap in the face. What I'm saying is that I don't believe it should be vacated that's all. You either let Bush keep it, which I don't think he should or you write Vince Young's name in the record books. I just don't want to look at the list of Heisman winners in twenty years and see nobody in the column of 2005. It's not right.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Steve, just curious to know why the award should be vacated? Personally I don't believe in any way that it shouldn't be given to Vince Young if Bush loses the award. It's just doesn't look good on the NCAA if you look back at their history and see no Heisman trophy winner in 2005.
Bush earned the title on the field. Vince wasn't voted as the winner. This is a huge moral grey area because Reggie earned the title. He didn't know he was ineligible.