• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Report has Brian Burke joining Calgary Flames

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/20 ... lames.html

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 4m
Flames call media conference for 10am Calgary time.
I wonder what type of role he'll take on. Calgary is one of the worst teams in the league, I'm surprised that Burke is interested in joining them.

Not real surprised that it didn't take him this long to find another job.

Sabby

Not gonna lie, I don't understand how he continues to gain prominent employment. Maybe I'm jaded, since I'm a Leafs fan, but his track record, with perhaps the role he played for the Canucks is questionable at best. He simply rides the coattails of his predecessors. Mark my words the cup the Ducks won in 2006 was thanks to moves that Bryan Murray made beforehand. I hate the Sens but I'd take Bryan Murray over Burke any day of the week.....I wonder which Sportsnet reporter Burkie will knock up in Calgary??

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I'll go the other route and think this is a smart move by Calgary. I ain't going to disagree with what Bryan Murray did for Anaheim and Brian Burke before he left but if I'm not mistaken didn't Burkie bring Pronger and Neidermeyer to Anaheim? Which are the ones who really helped the Ducks win the cup in 2006. Also, Burke was the innovator for that Leafs team that made the playoffs last season. He drafted Kadri, he brought Kessell over which the trade as now shifted their way, he acquired Lupol and lastly he hired Carlyle. He's the media scapegoat because he speaks his mind, and I disagree with it.

Sabby

Until he builds a team from scratch, I will be forever in doubt, but Calgary is a mess, this may be his chance to do just that

StroShow

V.I.P.
Sabby said:
Until he builds a team from scratch, I will be forever in doubt, but Calgary is a mess, this may be his chance to do just that
He somewhat built the Maple Leafs team that were one game away from making the second round of the playoffs. Lupol, Kessel, Kadri, Phaneuf, Bozak, Van Riemsdyk and Franson to name a few guys. The only mistake I think he did was defend his buddy Ron Wilson for so long.

Calgarymike

People in Calgary are pretty much on the fence about Burke's hiring... Time will tell

StroShow

V.I.P.
I don't know what the fuss is all about though. He's not even the general manager, Jay Feaster is. Brian Burke will run his ideas through him and the owner King. I'd honestly be more worried with Feaster running the team then Burkie.

Sabby

Yeah but you know how Burkie is, he likes to have hins hands involved. I'm sure he will try to influence the GM. What I want to see is a Burke-Lowe brawl in the press box on HNIC when the Oilers play the Flames