Report: Gasol wants to play for a contendor

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Insidelane, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Insidelane

Insidelane Guest

Gasol told the "El Tirachanas" program on Spanish television's COPE that he wanted "to be with a team competing for a ring," something that he added would be "very difficult" to do with the Grizzlies.
    Gasol broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot while playing for Spain in the semifinals of the FIBA World Championship last summer. He missed the championship game but still was named tournament MVP as Spain won the gold medal.
    Without their All-Star forward, the Grizzlies are off to a 5-17 start.
    Gasol is set to make his long-awaited return for the Grizzlies on Saturday when they visit the Miami Heat.

But Gasol's days in Memphis may be numbered. Speculation has swirled that the Chicago Bulls and Boston Celtics may be interested in acquiring him.
    "There is some truth in it, especially with the whole situation of the change of owners (with the Grizzlies)," Gasol told COPE. "The situation has been uncomfortable, but there are not only the Bulls and Boston, there are other teams interested."
    A group headed by former NBA player Christian Laettner and his former Duke University teammate Brian Davis is seeking to purchase the Grizzlies.

2. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

I'd say he deserves a trade to a contender if the wuss could get his team past the first round.
    He's supposed to be a super-star yet he can't even will his team to win one freaking playoff series?!?!

he's just not that good. He's a stat stuffer like a dominque wilkins or Shareef Abdul raheem. The numbers look good, but he doesn't actually do much for the team...

so he can go blow it out his hole with any trade demands

3. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

I guess he's taking a page out of Iverson book and try to find a finals calibur team even though the grizzlies have been to the playoffs in the last three years their franchise has yet to win a playoff game. I think I could see him going to Boston more than Chicago even though the Bulls are a better team IMO.

4. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

Celts are on a bit of roll and their young talent is begining to play.

after giving up on young talent that developed elsewhere before (Billups, Joe johnson), I'm sure the C's are a little gun-shy to give up on potential talent now

5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

This whole "I wanna be traded thing" is getting old. Where is the pride? In the 50s, 60s, 70s etc, how many players bitched about being traded? Most of them closed their mouths and played. You really wanted to respect that player because he was in a bad situation but he didn't mind.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The Grizzlies are off to a bad start because of the absence of Gasol, I believe this team, are a very good team with him in the line up. He's one of the best players in the league, he plays with a lot of heart and determination. Yes they've got eliminated in the first round, but they played against the best teams in the West. I don't think he's going anywhere.

7. bballinyao06

bballinyao06 Guest

I agree with Vince Carter ^^ . Gasol is the Grizzlies' best player and I don't think they can afford to just trade him. They need him. And obviously, I understand that he wants to play for a championship contender, all players do but not all of them can be on contender teams. He just needs to stick it out in Memphis and hope that the Grizzlies get some talent to help him out.