• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Report: Colin Kaepernick looking for $18 million per season

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Thanks to the new collective bargaining agreed to before the 2011 season, players can extend or alter their contracts after their third year in the league. Quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who led the 49ers to back-to-back NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl appearance, just finished his third season. He's set to make a base salary of $973,766 in 2014 but is looking for substantially more than that.

Kaepernick and the 49ers have begun discussions about a new deal and according to the Boston Globe's Ben Volin, the former second-round pick is looking for something along the lines of Jay Cutler's recent contract that pays him $18.1 million per season with $38 million guaranteed.
Source: CBS SPORTS

Konshentz

Konshentz
Re: Report: Colin Kaepernick looking for $18 million per sea

I'd pay him that money long before I'd pay it to Cutler.

Joster

I'd feel a bit uneasy doing this...because I've never been big on Kaepernick. He's not worth the big money.

Not sure I'd give him that much money either too. I mean, yeah, he lead the 49ers to the Super Bowl in his rookie year but 1 year doesn't make a QB. I wouldn't go higher than 10$ millions for Kaepernick.

StroShow

V.I.P.

The 49ers would be crazy to give him that much money early on. Yes like Edgehead mentioned, he did bring them to the Super Bowl but I credit the defence rather than Kaepernick. Despite last years team success, he did nothing to show me that he deserves top quarterback money.

smh122

Registered Member

If Kap wants Cutler money, he's gonna have to sling the ball around ALOT more...Can't be 30th in Passing and ask for anything really

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.

I understand he got his team to a Super Bowl and an NFC Title game but come on, that's ridiculous money

He's a damn good player but no chance I'd give him that much

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.

If San Francisco doesn't want to pay him that, my guess is that there is one team out of the other thirty-one that will pay him that. Like it or not, that's the going rate for a franchise QB these days. Arguable is Kaep is a franchise QB, sure, but like I had said, somebody will take him.

StroShow

V.I.P.

Bizzy said:
If San Francisco doesn't want to pay him that, my guess is that there is one team out of the other thirty-one that will pay him that. Like it or not, that's the going rate for a franchise QB these days. Arguable is Kaep is a franchise QB, sure, but like I had said, somebody will take him.
The thing is, the 49ers aren't any worse without him so I don't really care if he does go to another team. It might be the going rate for a QB these days, but any team who forks that type of cash for him early on are stupid.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.

Dickey's Flow said:
Bizzy said:
The thing is, the 49ers aren't any worse without him so I don't really care if he does go to another team. It might be the going rate for a QB these days, but any team who forks that type of cash for him early on are stupid.
Like I said, If Kaepernick was a free agent, some team would give him $20 million a year. If I'm the Niners, I try to give him a contract where it escalates $14 mil, $16 mil, $18 mil, $20 mil, $22 mil, $24 mil, but only guarantee the first three years. I doubt they'll be that lucky.