Report: Chinese team will not allow Yi to play for the Bucks

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
ESPN -
The Milwaukee Bucks ' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

Yi, taken by Milwaukee with the sixth selection in the NBA draft last month, would "definitely not" play for Milwaukee, Tuesday's Beijing News quoted Guangdong Tigers chief, Chen Haitao, as saying.

"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...hinese_club_will_block_yis_move_to_milwaukee/

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
I've got mixed feelings about this, on one side I think who ever picks you play for them this is a business and its your job not to mention its not fair to the franchise that drafts you. But on the other hand the Bucks were told that he didnt want to be drafted by them, wasnt going to play for them and that they were banded for Yi's workouts. I have hope that they will resolve this soon because I really wanna see Yi play.

B

bballinyao06

I definitely agree with Fresh and hope this gets resolved soon. It would be a shame for Yi not to be able to play in the NBA. And even if China didn't want the Bucks to draft him, it's too late now. What's done is done. Just because Milwaukee doesn't have a dominant Chinese community, it doesn't mean that Yi won't thrive with their team. And since I highly doubt that China will change it's mind about this, I have a feeling that Yi will either stay in China or will end up getting traded because I know one thing's for sure, I don't think the Bucks are happy about this and if Yi has to stay in China, they'll have lost their draft pick and instead of losing it, I think they will do the smart thing and try and do a trade so that they can get something in return for him.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Here's the latest news I heard about this subject. Yi will not report to Milwaukee and will head back to the Chineese league next season. This situation is getting out of control, and now it's at the point where the Bucks should of listened to the Chineese organization and not draft him. It's a real shame because I was really looking forward seeing Yi play next year. I guess we will have to wait another year, or inless there's a miracle and Yi gets traded and plays next year. But I highly doubt that will happen.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Chinese are acting like a bunch of children, it seems everyone is making the decisions for him, let him play for the Bucks, I'm sure he's going to get some playing time, just because you think he won't get enough minutes to develop into a superstar, so he won't be has good for the National Team when the olympics come around, is not a valid reason. Grow up and let the kid play.

zunami

Registered Member
The Chinese suck and have a small penis complex but the biggest idiot here is the Bucks organization. They knew this could happen so why take the risk when he wasn't even projected to be the best player available at where they drafted him and they already have Bogut(they screwed up that pick as well) and Villanueva in the front court?Corey Brewer would have so much more sense.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I completely agree with your statement. They already have a bunch front line players like you said and you can even add Dan Gagzuric and Bobby Simmons(if he can stay healthy) to the mix. With the uncertainty about Mo Williams they had two choices trade the pick for a backcourt player or even draft maybe Acie Law. I know it's a little early but he would fit well in Milwaukee. Now they literally shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
USA Today -
A Beijing newspaper on Thursday was investigating a story it published this week, quoting Chen Haitao — owner of the Guangdong Tigers basketball club — saying power forward Yi Jianlian would "definitely not" sign with the Milwaukee Bucks .

Yi was drafted sixth overall two weeks ago and is expected to be the fourth Chinese player to compete in the NBA.

The Chinese-language Beijing News said it stood by its story, but a top Guangdong club official said it was untrue and the club had not talked with the newspaper.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...s_by_yi_story_despite_teams_claims_otherwise/

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
SI.com -
Chinese teen star Yi Jianlian has broken his silence following a torrent of criticism about his refusal to move to the Milwaukee Bucks in the NBA, saying it was his decision alone not to play there.

The 19-year-old was was chosen by the Bucks as the No. 6 pick in last month's NBA draft but has refused to go there -- reportedly because he would not get enough playing time and that too few Chinese lived in Milwaukee.

The 7-foot power forward's U.S.-based agent, Dan Fegan, has been portrayed in China as one of the main villains in the affair.

But Yi made clear it was his decision, and not Fegan's, in wanting to be traded to another team.

"I've read some of the reports, but I don't think he has made too many decisions for me," Yi told Chinese reporters while training with the national team in Beijing on Thursday, and his comments were carried by the China Daily.

"It's clear that he works for me, so everything he is doing is based on my ideas," Yi said.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47248/20070720/yi_confirms_trade_request/

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I'm almost positive they're lying. All they really want out of Yi is commercial revenue. With China's attitude about glorifying the country, of course they will make Yi say that he made the decisions himself, when it was really the Chinese organization that did everything. Based on personal experiences outside of sports, the Chinese government is very crafty in manipulating people to seem like it's not their fault.