Report: A-Rod Could Become Player/Owner With Cubs

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
ESPN - Alex Rodriguez might redefine the term "franchise player."

New York Magazine reported on Sunday that the Yankees third baseman could end up with the Chicago Cubs next season with a blockbuster contract that includes an ownership stake in the team.

A-Rod's huge numbers couldn't have come at a better time. Ten days after the World Series ends, A-Rod can opt out of the $252 million contract he signed with the Texas Rangers six years ago.

According to the magazine, Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, has already identified the leading candidate to buy the Cubs and has begun negotiations on a mega-deal. The publication's sources say that the deal could reach $30 million per year over 10 years, with part of the contract deferred toward an eventual stake in the franchise.

http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_w...rt_a_rod_could_become_player/owner_with_cubs/

G

gregis111

So much for my plan of bringing A-Rod to Boston. Looks like we'll have to go after Lowell now. Which I'm fine with unless the deal is more than 3 years in length.

DaSportsGuy

Registered Member
On ESPN like a month ago, they were talking about Alex Rodriguez possibly going to the Cubs. He's got a great relationship with Lou Piniella, manager of the Cubs. Lou was his manager when A-Rod was in Seattle and has maintained that great relationship with him. I would love to have him come to the Cubs team since I am a Cubs fan, but we do have Aramis Ramirez at 3rd base, so maybe A-Rod could possibly move back to short. We would have Derrek Lee at 1st base, Mark DeRosa at 2nd Base, Aramis Ramirez at 3rd base, and Alex Rodriguez at shortstop. Then we also have Alfonso Soriano patrolling the outfield. What a lineup we would have with A-Rod.

The_Show_Stopper

Registered Member
I think that there's a chance of him going to the Cubs but I don't think that this story is completely true. I think most of it is just his agent trying to hype him up so more teams will go after him meaning bigger contract offers and more money. However, ARod won't need it....he's ARod.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
NEW YORK (AP) - Agent Scott Boras says he hasn't had talks with any of the possible bidders for the Chicago Cubs about Alex Rodriguez, denying a report on New York Magazine's Web site.

Rodriguez can opt out of the final three years of his contract with the New York Yankees, which calls for him to receive $27 million in each of the next three seasons.

"A source with knowledge of the situation says Boras knows which group is most likely to be awarded the team," New York Magazine reported on its Web site this weekend. "The source says Boras has already been in touch with that group about the possibility of a contract that could reach $30 million a year over the next 10 years while deferring a certain portion of money toward an eventual stake in the franchise."
John Canning, chairman of private equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners LLC, is thought to be a favorite to buy the team from Tribune Co., which is in the process of being purchased by an entity controlled by real estate investor Sam Zell. Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban submitted an application to examine the Cubs' finances.
Speaking before Sunday's 7-5 win over Toronto, Rodriguez said the report was "nonsense," as far as he knew.
"Great players with great demand create great rumors," Boras said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "While I would enjoy having lunch with Mark Cuban and Canning, at this point of the year that conversation would not include Alex Rodriguez. I have not talked to anyone."
Boras also pointed out that it would violate major league rules for a player to have equity or potential equity in a franchise. "It sounds like a silly story. We really don't believe it," Yankees president Randy Levine said. "However, if it were true, that would be grounds to disqualify someone from becoming an owner before even filing the application. It would demonstrate a violation of major league rules prior to even owning a club. I talked to the commissioner, and he agrees."
Rodriguez signed his $252 million, 10-year contract with Texas before the 2001 season, then was traded to the Yankees in 2004. As part of the trade, the Rangers owe the Yankees $8,116,000 next year, $7,101,500 in 2009 and $6,087,000 in 2010 - a total of $21,304,500.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7257592

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
There's not a stitch of truth to the original article. It's a violation of MLB policy (tampering) for a players agent to enter into any form of discussion with a potential owners group, for one. And secondly, no player can bargain for ownership rights, current or future options.

Hoosier.

T

Tigers246484

I think hes going to have a hard time turning down a massive contract that LAA will offer. Its going to still come down to who hands out the money. Though he might leave NYY dont write him into the Cubs lineup yet. LAA will make a huge push for him. Boston may, but I think he will stay away from that division....also dont rule out the Dodgers.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I believe if the Yankees win the World Series, he will stay with them, he wants to be known has one of the greatest yankee player to ever. But if they don't win the World Series, then the stupid Yankee fans will drive him out of the city, and next year when he's putting the best numbers in the league, they'll be crying to get him back.