• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Replacing Graphics card over an Integrated one

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Recently I was given an HP Computer as a house warming gift. I love it, its been a great tool that I've used non-stop since I first busted it out of its Cardboard and styrofoam prison.

My only complaint is that it is utilizing an onboard ATI Radeon 4200 Graphics card... and integrated graphics can be a big let down (which this one has been).

This week I went out and dumped a chunk of change on an upgrade, I purchased the ATI Radeon 6770 with the intention of replacing it.

So far so good, it fits my shell perfectly. I went rounds with it last night trying to install it.... then I realized what a noob mistake I was making... turns out I needed a Molex to 6-Pin power just to get power to the Card :hah:

I automatically assumed since the fan on it kicked on that it was getting power via the PCI-E.

~~~~

The reason for the thread is, have any of you done this particular replacement? The dreaded Graphics over Integrated Graphics exchange?

I've done alot of reading and Im pretty darn prepared for trouble. But just in case theres something I havent covered... any advice you can offer?