Reparations

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

What do you think of them? Should black people be given money from the government because of their ancestry? Is it justified? Or is it just another form of racism?

2. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

I think they want reparations from the wrong people. The US government had no part in kidnapping them from their homes, putting them on ships and transporting them across the Atlantic Ocean. There were slave traders from people from other nations who perpetrated those criminal acts. In many cases, it was other Africans who did that to their own countrymen.
    Note: This excerpt was copied from Wikipedia:
    History also fails to report that the US was one of the very first nations to free their slaves and outlaw the practice of slavery. Yet it is the US that is consistently vilified by other nations.
    Also, when Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation into law, many former slaves (Freedmen) were given the option of returning to their homelands. In fact, it was Abe's final objective to put all those former slaves on ships and return them to Africa, an expense to be borne exclusively by the US Government. It was for this reason, among others, that he was ultimately assassinated. To date, and to the best of my knowledge, not a single black person has accepted the option of returning to Africa. They discovered that living here in the US, regardless of the conditions at the time, was much more appealing than returning to face the tribal wars that existed in Africa at the time.
    And they want reparations from the US Government?? I think that's ludicrous.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I just think it's crazy because one: if reparations come from tax money, aren't black people paying themselves? Two, I've never owned a slave, neither did my parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents. Why should I be paying people money that I don't owe them?

Here's an idea: rather than being a lazy ungrateful prick, get a job. Stop living on government hand outs (that goes for all races). I hate beggars.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Here's a thought though. The gene pool for most African American's ancestors was shifted from Africa to America due to the slave trade. Chances are, most African Americans alive today wouldn't even exist if their ancestors weren't taken to America. Nobody alive today was responsible for slavery happening in America and nobody alive today was a slave in America. It's really a non issue if you ask me.

5. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I hate it when my ancestors are accused of enslaving people.

My mother's grandfather came here from Greece.

My father's grandfather came here from Ireland.

Greeks were enslaved by the Romans, Irish were enslaved by the English, and treated like shit when they first came to America.

I'm not asking for money.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Couldn't agree more.

My family came from Mexico, some had Spanish land grants that were practically stripped from them over 100 years ago. We've never owned slaves, had no participation in slavery, and unfairly lost land. I owe no one and no one owes me.

Oooh_snap likes this.