• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Impact

V.I.P.
After being here close to 2 years, and still not figuring out how exactly rep power works, I thought it was about time to ask. Mine seems to rise and drop in no pattern, and not really depending on posts. So confusing, someone explain.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I never understood it either but I guess rep power has to do with how much rep you spread around. The more you do, the higher your rep power is. At least that's what I've noticed. But I could be wrong.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It's tied into your 30 day activity and, generally, how many posts you make in 30 days.

Impact

V.I.P.
Okay, so how when you don't post for 30 days does your rep power not drop to 0?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I'm assuming that 0 is only when you have never spread it. So as long as you've been spreading rep before, it'll either remain in the same level or it'll go up when you start giving it out again.

Dabs

Registered Member
My Rep line.....are you talking about the green line over to the right??
I noticed mine has changed a couple of times these past few days.
Right now it's at 100%.....then one time it went to 95% and I thought "wtf??"......somebody must have given me a bad rep ~LoL~
But I was wrong, someone gave me a good smiley face~
I was assuming the Rep line also staggered according to how others gave us Rep...am I wrong??

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Okay, so how when you don't post for 30 days does your rep power not drop to 0?
It is a complicated mathematical formula that Hybrix came up with, haha. That's how I stopped figuring out the exact details of the calculation. It's not only dependent on your daily/monthly activity but they're easier to figure because since they're the ones that change more often, our rep fluctuations are mostly based on those. But really there are long term stuff involved in the calc like your general level (like mine is 69 :naughty: right now) - the higher it is, the most likely higher your rep power is ---- and we know that levels are tied to overall postcount, and then there's also the awards you've received, the more awards you have and their levels like x2, x3, the higher your rep power is (basically the stats and icons below your avatar are factored in, including the pos or negs you receive for that period).

My Rep line.....are you talking about the green line over to the right??
I noticed mine has changed a couple of times these past few days.
Right now it's at 100%.....then one time it went to 95% and I thought "wtf??"......somebody must have given me a bad rep ~LoL~
But I was wrong, someone gave me a good smiley face~
I was assuming the Rep line also staggered according to how others gave us Rep...am I wrong??
That is not your rep power. That is mostly due to your total rep points. If you check your reps table, at the top you get "rep points total" and "rep power". The former is the percentage of rep you get according to the maximum number of rep points you can receive.

It used to be that we didn't have any "ceiling" for rep points. Such that when a lot of people give rep before, we've had members with points reaching millions, and it broke the rep system and we had to reset everyone's rep eventually.

So now there is just a ceiling of points you can get, I think it increases based on your number of posts (or your post level number) , which means if your ceiling is 1000 pts and someone repped you (and that person has 1000 rep power), you've automatically reached 100% of your rep level. So even if he reps you again in that period, you're still 1000 pts, 100% rep level.

Now, as you make more posts, your ceiling increases so maybe one day you're now allowed to accumulate as much as 1500 points instead of 1000. When that happens, your record only recognises that you already have 1000pts (your former max), but your % rep level bar is no longer 100% because now it will recalculate (whatever is the percentage of 1000/1500).

Again, these are your rep points and you rep levels. Not your rep power. Ah, the vocabulary of rep! It's a serious business!

Dabs

Registered Member
Ahh....K then...thank you much ysabel!!
I had no clue...obviously!..what the green Rep line was or anything....so, you helped me, thanks, and hopefully helped the others out who were wondering too :)

Impact

V.I.P.
It is a complicated mathematical formula that Hybrix came up with, haha. That's how I stopped figuring out the exact details of the calculation. It's not only dependent on your daily/monthly activity but they're easier to figure because since they're the ones that change more often, our rep fluctuations are mostly based on those. But really there are long term stuff involved in the calc like your general level (like mine is 69 :naughty: right now) - the higher it is, the most likely higher your rep power is ---- and we know that levels are tied to overall postcount, and then there's also the awards you've received, the more awards you have and their levels like x2, x3, the higher your rep power is (basically the stats and icons below your avatar are factored in, including the pos or negs you receive for that period).
Thanks ys. So basically, it's based on a couple things, but no-one but brix knows exactly what? Things make a little more sense now, anyway.