• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Removing Mother's and Father's Day

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Because we still have to celebrate Mother's Day (next Sunday), one of the stories related to it have been circulating on the net. The photo shows a school bulletin explaining to parents that they are no longer doing Mother's/Father's Day recognition in school but they're changing it to "Day of people we love" - so instead of kids preparing a gift for their moms and dads, they will prepare two gifts in class and they will give it to two people that they love. The reason: to be more sensitive to the reality that some children may not be living the traditional "I have a mom/dad."

Each time I see this photo on FB, people were just praising it. I'm the only odd one who thinks this isn't such a fantastic idea. Instead of hijacking all their "love" for the story, I just decided to make my own discussion about it.

Let me preface (for those who have no clue who I am), I'm usually pro-politically correct/diplomacy/love-everyone person. I see the positive side and why people are all praises. However, I feel that while the intention of the school is good (to avoid awkwardness of children who have no moms or dads to give gifts on this occasion), it's too PC. There is no need to completely take away Mother's and Father's day from children/parents to accommodate a few. Instead, they could have thought of redefining the terms "mother" and "father" - to encompass all adults that play parental roles to the children. To go beyond its biological definition. So during the traditional feast, the children who don't have bio moms/dads could still prepare their gifts for those people who are currently raising them as if they're their own children.

Avoiding terms instead of talking about them, will not make the awkwardness go away. Also, where do you draw the line? Will the school stop celebrating Christmas events just because not everyone is celebrating it at home? I mean it's already "non religious" as it can get - no mention of Christ's birth, but more on winter decorations and Santa Claus stuff and all the commercial definition of the holiday. Do you take that away from the children because some classmates do not celebrate it at home at all? If the school wrote the same message to parents as this Mother's/Father's day thingy, will it get as much love?

PS. Actually these events aren't really part of the curriculum but makes good events for practical arts projects. :D

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its getting where the rights of the few outweigh the rights of the many. Which I think is taking the wrong road. I see no reason to stop celebrating mother/fathers day or Christmas because some may not celebrate it. Not everything is going to be for everyone.

thealigator

Registered Member
I can see where the school is coming from. If a child has lost a mum or dad they obviously have to live with that fact every sing day of their life and if the school wishes to make life a little easier by not reminding them even more of this I am kind of for that. This is a difficulty we face in todays society where everyone is different and from different circumstances. I believe we should be sensitive to people be it religion, sexuality and yes family circumstances but with that being said I would never want to say that children should not be allowed to do nativity plays.

It really is difficult and I am unsure what the answer is, I am unsure that there is one sadly.