Remembering music

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I just heard a song the radio that I haven't heard since I was a kid, yet I remembered every single word without fail. How the hell does the mind work like that remembering a song 20 years later?

Has this happened to you, and why do you think you can remember music word for word from years ago?

Bjarki

Registered Member
Think it's the combination between notes and words. It's much easier to remember things if you put them to a rhyme (or link them to an image, movie, location, etcetera).

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I was just thinking about this the other day, when I heard a Yaz song that I probably hadn't heard since the 80's but I still remembered almost every line.

konboye

Registered Member
Music is just that thing that can never be fully appreciated, its a lot of things and nothing at the same time. Imagine a world without music. It would just be eternal gloom.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
They invade our minds. Music is a very powerful tool. Pretty much every successful business has a tune that you can sing by memory. In some cases, terrible businesses stay in our minds because of their jingle. coughcardealershipscough

The guitar is a plucked string instrument, usually played with fingers or a pick. The guitar consists of a body with a rigid neck to which the strings, generally six in number but sometimes more, are attached. Guitars are traditionally constructed of various woods and strung with animal gut or, more recently, with either nylon or steel strings. Some modern guitars are made of polycarbonate materials.

Memory for that kind of thing is pretty incredible, really. Annoying though, how you can forget everything you need to know for an exam but remember all the lyrics to the songs you used to sing in school assembly 15 years ago.
I'm embarrassed by some of the songs I still know all the words to, since the music I listen to has changed a LOT in the past 5 years.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
You know that song "Blue" by Eiffel 65? That one! I hadn't heard this song in 10 years and I was watching the movie Loser and this song started playing. It was so trippy cuz I remembered all the lyrics.

Dabs

Registered Member
I can remember a great deal of the songs from the 80s....from groups such as ToTo, Journey, Exile, The Tubes, Mister Mister, Duran Duran, Air Supply...yep, I think the 80s had some of the best music :)